Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
General Contractor / Truck Parts Store
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been in construction for 10+ years and 90% of the time my tools are exposed in my truck bed. My jobsite is always changing and sometimes spend hours away from my truck, so I've been in the market to find more ways to protect my tools. I ended up investing in a Tonneau Cover because it allows me to keep all my belongings in the back while keeping it relatively safe and away from the elements of a prying eye. Always protect the moneymakers.

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Black-and-white Style

Two unique styles of the Tonneau Cover from Truck2go (Retractable and Tri-Folding)

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

With High-Quality Durable Aluminum Materials and individual models of our tonneau cover locking system, we ensure to protect your tools and equipment from being stolen.

Water resources World Nature Road surface Natural environment
Hood Light Product Black Automotive design
Hood Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive mirror

Combine it with our Utility Ladder Rack as accessories!

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting
Product Automotive exterior Output device Bumper Auto part

Our Tonneau covers and Rack Accessories are back up by Warranty!

Rectangle Font Emblem Circle Oval

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
depends on what you do and how you work . i could not get much of what i need in your truck bed and getting at the stuff in the front would be a major hassle .i also went to a van and a lumber rack for two of my vehicles .now i run a box truck which complicates getting lumber lengths over 12' . i have a puck lock on the back doors . I was always uncomfortable leaving tools in an open bed .Had those flat top doors on a pickup bed when i started out but it lacks size .they might be a good starting point . Vans really have advantages - i slept in it a few times .they can haul so much .all locked up nicely .

·
Pro
6,715 Posts
I've seen trucks with side rail boxes and a custom cover over the bed and down to the tailgate. Not a plug and play format, but lots of room and tool access. The cover, however, could easily be cut by thieves.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
The problem is local PDs DON'T go after amateur/ small time thieves, under 10 K$, turn it in to your insurance...... the "smart" scum can go years between arrests for burglary and theft.

If you sleep in the truck at least once a year, it is burglary, much greater crime then regular theft from a car.

80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
depends on what you do and how you work . i could not get much of what i need in your truck bed and getting at the stuff in the front would be a major hassle .i also went to a van and a lumber rack for two of my vehicles .now i run a box truck which complicates getting lumber lengths over 12' . i have a puck lock on the back doors . I was always uncomfortable leaving tools in an open bed .Had those flat top doors on a pickup bed when i started out but it lacks size .they might be a good starting point . Vans really have advantages - i slept in it a few times .they can haul so much .all locked up nicely .
Right, having an open truck box with stuff in it will always make you feel insecure. Even when you go on a short lunch break, can't eat peacefully worrying people will take whatever you have in the truck bed 😰

80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol. I did exactly this with hot pink.

Then I was robbed of $10k worth of tools and belongings.

I found those hot pink tools in a pawn shop later and put the police in contact with the individuals.

Dang, that's a big lost 😰 . Now days, people would try whatever they can to break open and steal it as long it is a tool box 😱

·
Pro
6,715 Posts
Dang, that's a big lost . Now days, people would try whatever they can to break open and steal it as long it is a tool box
Thankfully I had replacement insurance coverage.

A couple months ago I had my jobsite trailer broken into and around $5k stolen. 10 minute job.

Best deterrent is making you the tedious and risky target for theft. Locks are worthless for determined individuals. My area really isn't that bad, but go to the other side of my state and they'll sawzall the side wall off your trailer if it's left in the right area...if they can't just hook up and tow it away.

80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankfully I had replacement insurance coverage.

A couple months ago I had my jobsite trailer broken into and around $5k stolen. 10 minute job.

Best deterrent is making you the tedious and risky target for theft. Locks are worthless for determined individuals. My area really isn't that bad, but go to the other side of my state and they'll sawzall the side wall off your trailer if it's left in the right area...if they can't just hook up and tow it away.

oh okie , at least you got insurance but sorry to hear that you had to go thru all of that trouble 😰 . I also notice a lot of handymen/contractors don't pay much attention to insurance. It will help when that time comes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts