Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to finish the room above my 3 car garage. My concern is that the rafters may need shimming and the joists may need adjustment and/or shimming so there is a even flat surface to attach the drywall to. How is this process best accomplished?

More detail on the room is below.

The roof runs directly over the 3 car garage with 16" OC 2X10 rafters. I have layed a 78" level across the rafters and there is definite uneveness between some of them that would cause the drywall to distort when installed. How would shimming or planning of these rafters best be accomplished? Drywall attached here would run from the knee walls to the celling.

Nailed between the rafters across the room are 16" OC 2X6 joists eight feet above the floor. These joists also have uneveness when checking with the level. My guess is that it would be best to remove nails as required on each end and adjust the joists and them shim them if required. How would this best be accomplished? Drywall attached here would form the celling.

Another question on the joists. Are the 2X6s 16" OC sufficent to hold the weight of the drywall and insulation? The joists run about 14 feet between the rafters.

At each side of the room are 4 foot 2X4 studs that run from the rafters to the floor. These also need to be adjusted, but this would appear to be the easest area to work on. Any tips on these? Drywall attached here would form the kneewalls.

I have been reading some books on framing and drywalling, but would like to hear from some experienced people before I proceed. At this point I will probably hire a pro to install the drywall and finish it. How hard of a job is preparing for the drywall installation? Should I consider hiring a carpenter? I am a homeowner who is pretty handy with projects around the house, but am not formally trained in carpentry.

Thanks,

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
My first resort would cardboard drywall shims they sell by the bundle nailed to the low spots. To do it quickly you can tack a string from one side to the other laid on the joists, studs, whatever and see where the low spots are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
RC channel

RC channel or sound channel Will level out your ceiling. The channel is screwed to the rafters opposite way first then the drywall is attached to the Channel and the weigh levels out the ceiling. The stuff is great, It will give you a truly flat ceiling. For walls use two layers of 1/2 drywall nail and screw the fist layer and glue and screw the second. Remove screws when glue dries. This will take care of most of the out of whack studs adjust the really bad studs with a big hammer and screws.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts