Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy. I'm a GC. Not a painter, but have done quite a lot. I do own a airless sprayer.

I do a lot of rehabs and always come across old, dingy, varnished trim around windows that need to be painted white.

Here's the problem. Even after spraying on primer and 2 coats of paint. There is still some bleeding. I'm using paint and primer In one (grand distinction from menards, 30 dollars a gallon) paint.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Here's the problem. Even after spraying on primer and 2 coats of paint. There is still some bleeding. I'm using paint and primer In one (grand distinction from menards, 30 dollars a gallon) paint.
What's it bleeding? nicotine? tannin?

If there is something inherent to the wood itself, may take a slow dry primer.

- Agree with our company, that it must be done as a seperate stage.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If it's clean, it shouldn't be a problem. I understand you're in a production setting and may not be able to go through 4 or 5 steps.

At the very least, get someone to go around with a good grease cutting cleaner. Basic dishsoap will work, but tsp is better as you can adjust the strength. Try that, otherwise, you'll have to clean and scuff first.

Keep a can of oil base kilz on hand and some foam brushes on a stick for spot priming.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Is it actually varnish? Or could it be urathane or laquer?
Shellac base primer may be required for a bridge coat.
Paint and primer in one only exists in marketing, In my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts