Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't understand what some people are thinking when they name their business. I saw a truck this weekend with "Y2K electric" on the side. Did they not think their business would last past 2000?

Anyways, it got me thinking... what do you think goes into a good company name?
I know weve talked about it before but it seems to keep coming up.

Couple of questons: What do you think about...
- Owners name in the company name?
- Location based names? (example: Orlando Painting)
- Names that don't include the trade preformed

Also, if you were going to give advice to someone about naming their business what would it be? Do you have any regrets?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hehe. In another forum we were discussing this. Someone saw "Miller Time roofing" There were a ton of crappy names people were listing.

Personally I dislike the owners name being the company name, but I've read reports that sort of thing makes home owners comfortable. After I read the report I did some research and come to think of it the biggest companies in my area are all named after someone.

I still think your company name should describe something about the company. "Illinois roofing service" Well that name answers a few questions. What do you do and where do you do it?

Because of this I plan a two part strategy. Part I will take about 5 years. As many of you know I am an employee where I work and just started my own company on the side. I am working now at all the necessary licensing and certification.

My plan is sometime in the near future to start a second company but do nothing with it, just basically sit on it for a few years. In about 2010 both companies will be operational. Each company will appear to the public to be seperate companies. Each company will appeal to a different segment of the population. There will be diffeent gimiks and specilizations to each company.

You can't be everything to everyone but damnit you can try!

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I've seen a couple papers on business naming. Many of them say not to do a location in the name.. what happens if you expand to a different location? Kind of the same thing as the Y2K name. Others say don't use a personal name in it either - what happens if you sell to a son-in-law? Personally I don't mind a personal name but the location kind of miffs me. If I see you in a Montana phonebook I'm going to assume you are based in Montana. Kind of common sense don't you think? I wouldn't go to a Idaho phone book to find a Montana contractor would I?
Describing a trade is not a bad idea.. how you use the name is the important part. Soso Roofing probably isn't good.. A1 Roofing is good though. First - it is the first listing in the phonebook under roofing contractors and also in the internet yellow pages. Trades in business names are more difficult when you perform more than one service or are a GC. Of course GC's usually have some descriptive word of what they want their buildings to look like when they are done.. Quality, Best or have a material - Timber, etc.. and then start or follow with Constructors, or builders. I think a name should bring up images in the persons mind to make it memorable to the consumer. Quality Construction doesn't do it for me - sounds like the other 100 contrators in the area.. in other words fill in the blank _______ Construction.. blah

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Hatchet the Chicago telephone book is HUGE and coveres a HUGE area. We only cover a small piece of that area. So if I said "North Shore Plumbers" people on the south shore wouldnt be calling. I see your point, but sometimes it is helpful. Probably it would be more helpful if you added the area to your slogan or something. Anyways I am not heartset on that type of name, just tossing out an option.

When it comes to the trade name I got smart. My company name is (edited for search engines). :) Here's the fun part. I assumed (edited) Roofing & Remodeling. Legally I can use either name, and at any time I can create a new division: (edited), Custom Homes or whatever I decide. If I ever decide to get out of the roofing trade I'm still the (COmpany Name). Also I trademarked the line "Quality Work Ahead" so if I every switch focus to windows or somethign it's still quality.

As far as a1 goes, I read this is a good way to get in the phone books etc... but consumers dislike it. I know someone who made Adams roofing. Who the hell is adam? There is no adam, but he got in the top of the phone book :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts