Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a copper coil out of 3/4 OD soft copper tubing. It is turning out to be much more difficult than I imagined. I need to make two coils each containing 50ft of copper tubing. This is for a hot water application. I have tried manually bending the tubing around a 10in diameter PVC pipe, but the tubing flattens too much. I also attempted filling the tubing with sand with mixed results. I looked for coil tubing benders, but cant find one for 3/4in OD. Does anyone out there have a better idea or know of a tubing bender that would work for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Alvin Baker

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just thinking out loud here

albakes said:
I need to make a copper coil out of 3/4 OD soft copper tubing. It is turning out to be much more difficult than I imagined. I need to make two coils each containing 50ft of copper tubing. This is for a hot water application. I have tried manually bending the tubing around a 10in diameter PVC pipe, but the tubing flattens too much. I also attempted filling the tubing with sand with mixed results. I looked for coil tubing benders, but cant find one for 3/4in OD. Does anyone out there have a better idea or know of a tubing bender that would work for this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Alvin Baker
Think of something hard and curved plus router?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Have you tried an EMT bender?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Have you tried slipping one of the plumber's bending springs over the tubing before you wind it over your PVC pipe form? Then, just slip the spring down the length of the pipe to support the tubing as you make the bends? I used to be an electrician in a factory, and this is how I saw the mechanics make chiller coils for small chemical vats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mdshunk said:
Have you tried slipping one of the plumber's bending springs over the tubing before you wind it over your PVC pipe form? Then, just slip the spring down the length of the pipe to support the tubing as you make the bends? I used to be an electrician in a factory, and this is how I saw the mechanics make chiller coils for small chemical vats.
I can't find a sping tubing bender big enough. I need one for 3/4in OD. The biggest one I have found is for 5/8in. If you know where I can get a 3/4in I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
albakes said:
I can't find a sping tubing bender big enough. I need one for 3/4in OD. The biggest one I have found is for 5/8in. If you know where I can get a 3/4in I would really appreciate it!
check supply houses. i have a 3/4" od spring bender. they're out there. maybe e-bay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tinner73 said:
check supply houses. i have a 3/4" od spring bender. they're out there. maybe e-bay.
I actually changed my design to 7/8" OD copper tubing. I found a spring bender from RIDGID for 7/8. They are the only company that I found that makes one that big. I tried it out and it works flawlessly! Thanks everyone for all your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts