Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been raining pretty good here the last couple of days and in the past I would just call it but these last two days I motivated myself to get work done. But had to cut the day short after a couple hours because I'm spending more time flipping the breaker over than working. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,713 Posts
Either stop overloading it, or buy new tools/cords that don't have ground faults.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
480sparky said:
Either stop overloading it, or buy new tools/cords that don't have ground faults.
Don't think that was the issue I have a 4 plug box connected to a 100' 10 gauge cord. All plugs going into were new with no puncture or exposed wires and a new circular saw hooked up. Does it make a difference if the box is suspended rather than on the ground?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts
Are you overloading the breaker or are you tripping a GFCI?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leo G said:
Are you overloading the breaker or are you tripping a GFCI?
No it's not over loaded. I have my compressor plugged into a seperate outlet. And all I had in the 4 way was a saw hooked up. It popped before I had a chance to cut anything

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts
Sounds like a short in the wire somewhere or a GFCI breaker detecting a ground fault. Can you make it trip by shaking the box around to possible have it short out?

Keep the box off the ground and dry. Maybe it's just doing it's job and saving you from being electrocuted.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,713 Posts
No it's not over loaded. I have my compressor plugged into a seperate outlet. And all I had in the 4 way was a saw hooked up. It popped before I had a chance to cut anything
Sounds like a ground fault. Time to start checking things.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
No word on if it's a ground fault?

It sounds like some electrical equipment is simply doing it's job and protecting the wiring and people.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as I can tell it was because of the water getting into the 4 way. Which is was I was thinking originally. I know there are people who live in Oregon or BC where if you don't work in the rain you could be sitting on your couch for most of the year. Just wondering what they do during rainy days to either keep their chords dry or anything else that could be helpful.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
I could be mistaken but i think there are gfci breakers that can be put in the panel. There are arc fault interruptors for bedrooms. A customer had them and every time they tried to run a vacuum it would trip. I think it was the brushes in the motor. The afi sensed the brushes sparking and tripped i guess. Only had a problem with those a few times. Not sure if it was older technology, or brand or what.

Try using outlets on another circuit. Btw, just because you use a different outlet doesnt mean youre on another circuit...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, my choices are limited I do new house construction framing and they are GFI's connected to the panel. I don't know much in regards to wiring, well really I don't know anything. But I think they are seperate circuits when the breaker actually pops on the panel I have 2 switched I can flip over it's usually just one of them that pops.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The gfci breakers pop all the time .
The home made aluminum box 4 ways, will pop also if the box gets wet .
I run a gas compressor so no problem there .
I have a plastic tool box that we close our 4way and plugs in so they don't get wet .
tape your pugs together at the tool .
A sawzall Will ground out if it is wet and, it touches the ground .
The skill saw will pop the breaker if it hits the ground .
We hang the saws on the saw horse .
I hot wire a 12 g wire into the panel and use gfi breakers on the end of the plug , or use a gfi breaker in the panel , with reg outlets in the box .
Back in the day, we would just wire hot off the panel with a reg breaker and go for it . If we where soaked we would get zapped .
No one died, but you could get knocked on your ass.
john

1 - 18 of 18 Posts