Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting some advice here. I tore down the old deck last summer and with the lumber prices I have been putting it off. But the guy who built the previous deck tonailed the ledger to the sill plate ( not sure how it didn’t fall down). To do this he notched out the siding as you can see in the pic. The siding is 4x8 panel (lp smart side variety).
This is my plan and let me know if you agree. I want to cut the siding up to about 2 inches below the top of my band joist(2x8) . Leave an inch for water drainage and another inch for the 5/4 decking. This will make the bottom of the threshold of the door 1” higher than the deck. I can’t drop it much more because I’m limited by the 2x8 band joist. For flashing I plan on applying vycor flashing to the rim joist and sill and probably a strip of vinyl for extra precautions. The house has no sheathing. I then plan on spacing the ledger off the band joist with deck2wall spacers. The top will get jchannel or lshaped flashing to be tucked behind the siding and overtop the ledger/deck joists.
If I do this do I cut the siding flush with the ledger so the deck boards cover the cut line? Thats what I was planning.
The other option which I don’t really want to do is to take down all the panels that were cut and install new so they match the others. Then bolt straight through the siding to the house’s rim joist. But that would be a pain as they extend past the souffit and I have all the trim up.
The house is set to get painted soon so I’d like to get the siding cut so the end grain can get painted if I go with option 1.
Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,790 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.