Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sponge
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello tile pros,
My question is, what is best method to install dark color grout? I have seen tile jobs where it is blotchy and milky, even after 511.

I assume this is due to water content or over wiping clean with sponge, set time etc.

Please advise. Thank you.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Use your sales skills to upgrade to QuartzLock grout.

No blotchiness, no worries about adding too much water and no staining issues.

Superior product, easier installation, more profitable....:clap:

·
Sponge
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use your sales skills to upgrade to QuartzLock grout.

No blotchiness, no worries about adding too much water and no staining issues.

Superior product, easier installation, more profitable....:clap:
Never heard of it. I will google it thanks

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hello tile pros,
My question is, what is best method to install dark color grout? I have seen tile jobs where it is blotchy and milky, even after 511.

I assume this is due to water content or over wiping clean with sponge, set time etc.

Please advise. Thank you.
Read the instructions? :whistling

I've always ran into tile setters with the "I've been doing it this way forever with no problems" attitude.

I remember one who swore up and down for weeks and weeks how exact he was in preparing his grout. He finally agreed to meet with one of the manufacturers reps who was going to be in town and agreed to meet one on one with him and observe his grouting techniques.

Let's just say some tile setters perceptions are very different then reality. The tile rep had about 5 things he was doing wrong within 2 minutes of watching him. All of them were fully in the instructions, but some guys just tweak things here, tweak them there and they add up to a problem.

Grouts the place that always bites guys, it seems like its the easiest part of the job and it should be regarded as the hardest. I've seen so many things trip up guys over the years.

The old garden hose is one that bites them all. They take their water from the garden hose laying in the grass outside in the sun, every time they run water out of it, it's a different temperature due to the sun heating the water in it, which can easily result in grout variations.

Mention it to most tile setters and they will have no idea it could be a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts