Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
loosely and with the pointer finger extended...
That is sarcasm hopefully. If I saw a guy lay one course like that with that pointing trowel his keys better start jingling in his pocket cause he's gonna need to start method of transportation used to get there and reverse direction.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Seriously if you can lay 800 modular and joint them in 8 hours to military/government standards/ ASTM I could care less how you hold it and more about how much money you can make me a day. Remember different strokes for different folks. Gitter done one on top of two raise the line. Repeat as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seriously if you can lay 800 modular and joint them in 8 hours to military/government standards/ ASTM I could care less how you hold it and more about how much money you can make me a day. Remember different strokes for different folks. Gitter done one on top of two raise the line. Repeat as quickly as possible.
I like that heavyc, one just as good: worked a Saturday helping pound out a basement. Three of us, one laborer and us two laying 12" block. We are laying to the line, other layer gets to middle of the wall stops laying, walks back to the lead and lifts the line up and continues laying. Needless to say I learned even more (Already had my 15 years in) on how to handle a trowel even better. Sure, it wasn't the "normal" way to pound out a basement, but we had a blast that day racing to the center and running back to lift "line up" and go

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also know it doesn't matter how you hold the trowel as trowels all fit differently and we hold on to things differently.
The main idea again is comfort with handling the mud and type of unit you are laying. Oh yea, and not to set the trowel down when laying brick, block, if you know how to hold on to your trowel. Yea, I know, with large pieces of natural stone, you wouldn't hold on to your trowel.
My guys always ask how do I do that, (hold onto the trowel) whether building a lead or laying to the line. I think it all comes from time, experience and getting to know your trowel.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
The ones who don't make it hold it like a hammer. The ones who do it for a living hold it lose in the cup of their hand pinching it with their thumb into their index finger. The ones who don't end up with wrist and elbow problems learn to snap the handle into their palm a day not flick it with their wrist or elbow.

Or something like that.

If you have to learn your life has taken a turn for the worse and you should re-eval pronto!

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Never seen that method. have you always held it like that? Also I've seen people furrowing with the back of the blade but I've never done it, have you ever furrowed with the face of the blade?
I'll furrow with the front of the blade when I'm working chest high, but mostly the back side for me. Too many wrist rotations are wasted moves and carpel tunnel.

My index finger moves around from pointer position to just underneath the top of the shank depending on the task,...spreading the mud and tapping, I extend the pointer and squeeze with the thumb. Picking it up and the index rotates under the shank like a fish hook. Thumb usually remains parallel with the forearm.

Mostly for me, it's the Rose 10.5 N. London. Not a pointer like Heavy suggest when he want's to send me home early. Can I at least get paid for the day...:whistling

Attachments

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I am not very good at masonry work. Whenever I have a masonry job I have a retired mason help me. 50 years experience.
He has told me I should hold the trowel lightly. "If somebody walks by and hits it, they should be able to knock it out of your hand easy."
Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but that is all he has ever told me about holding a trowel.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I am not very good at masonry work. Whenever I have a masonry job I have a retired mason help me. 50 years experience.
He has told me I should hold the trowel lightly. "If somebody walks by and hits it, they should be able to knock it out of your hand easy."
Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but that is all he has ever told me about holding a trowel.
That is the exact way to hold it.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I feel sooo much better about dropping my trowel off 25' scaffold after reading this post. :rolleyes:

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Every mason develops their own technique and grip, but some things are more efficient and less stress on the body.

The inside of my right thumb is the most callused part of my body (except for my mind, but that is a different forum. :laughing:) I would call it 30 grit sand paper, my wife calls it gravel. When learning to lay brick/block the first real education after what mortar should look like and basic plumb/level is angle of the trowel.

The angle of the trowel changes many times in the process of laying one unit. If you twist your wrist each time you want to change the angle then your going to have a short career. If you learn to roll the trowel with your thumb, (thus developing a callus on the inside of your thumb) you can make many of these adjustments by simply moving your thumb back and forth.

A mason can get by without a lot of appendages, but the thumb is not one of them.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I'll furrow with the front of the blade when I'm working chest high, but mostly the back side for me. Too many wrist rotations are wasted moves and carpel tunnel.

My index finger moves around from pointer position to just underneath the top of the shank depending on the task,...spreading the mud and tapping, I extend the pointer and squeeze with the thumb. Picking it up and the index rotates under the shank like a fish hook. Thumb usually remains parallel with the forearm.

Mostly for me, it's the Rose 10.5 N. London. Not a pointer like Heavy suggest when he want's to send me home early. Can I at least get paid for the day...:whistling
Your using the wrong hand, silly. :laughing:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I feel sooo much better about dropping my trowel off 25' scaffold after reading this post. :rolleyes:

There is an unwritten rule in this neck of the woods,if you drop your trowel,you buy lunch for the entire crew,laborers included.:clap:

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
when we go to lunch, I always buy...

Dropped trowel or not.:thumbsup:

Reactions: fjn
21 - 38 of 38 Posts