Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What advice can you give in regard to handling inspections? What is the norm? Do you just tell the homeowner that a framing inspection is scheduled for sometime tomorrow? Do you let the homeowner handle the inspector or do you go there and wait for him? What about inspections for subs work? Do you just let the sub handle it or do you do it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am not sure how they do it there but here we call for an inspection on our work (if our subs are under our permit then we have to make sure they are ready as well, if not they are responsible for their permits). The inspector or inspection office will then usually call the homeowner and arrange a time within a day or two of the call in. I always tell people I am calling it in for whatever stage or final and get their home/work/cell numbers to make sure the inspector can get ahold of them and the job can be signed off or ready for the next stage.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Well I deal with inspectors on a limited basis because we don't do major construction. I tell my customers "we are a turn key solution" that means they tell us to do it and it gets done with little to zero assistance from them. This means I would be the one who meets the inspectors unless the inspectors require the owner to be present for some reason, as has happened in the past.

If we are building a dormer or something and the inspector is stopping bye I make sure the framing sub is present. Heck let's face it an average sized dormer can be framed in two days. What I think is a more important question is how do you deal with tardy inspectors? I hate it when they don't show.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
As HVAC Doc stated it will depend on where you are at and what the requirements of your building department is. Most often it is whoever pulls the permit is required to call in for the inspections. As a GC you should have a place for all the permits to be located that the inspectors will know exactly where to go. We've even put a sheet out there for the inspector with a plan to show them how to get to their point of inspection. It helps with relationships with them also - as it allows them to get on and off the project more quickly.
Personally if the homeowner pulled the permit I would have them put me, as a GC, onto the permit also so I could call the permits in without any input from them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Luch at a "gentleman's club" is a good way to handle inspectors.

Don

·
Registered
46 Posts
i work in commercial construction and as the super i handle the majority of the inspections, the only inspections i dont handle are fire sprinkler inspections, or fire alarm inspections. i am there for fire final inspections, but i am not exactly sure how to put the system in test and what the different read outs on the panel mean. i just leave the plans and permit card on some jobs that are pretty cut a dry like framing or rough elec, etc. if i am on a tight deadline i try to be at the inspection so if any little problems come up i can handle them right away and still get the inspection signed off.

inspectors can make or break you, if you rub them the wrong way they can make your life miserable. so i make it a point to talk to them about things they like, their hobbies, their kids anything other than the job so they come on the job and you ask how lil susie is doing or how the hot rod remodel or the hunting trip was etc etc. btw i have noticed a fair amount of inspectors are into either hunting or fishing

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I am always onsite for inspections this eliminates any misinterpretations and gives the client peace of mind.
As the others said, knowing your inspectors is good business. You should be able to address them by name, especially if your client is present. Rubbing elbows with them in off hours doesn't hurt either and can be fun, after all they are just regular guys doing their job, same as you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts