Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Have Aprox 10 Years In The Field Of Rough Framing But I Always Get Hooked Up With Companies That Have Trouble With Payroll My Last Job I Was At For 4 Years And Every Week Was A Struggle To Get Paid , My Wife Suggested I Go Union For Security,

·
Registered
405 Posts
Maybe my experience will be useful to you.

I am in Boston, and I have had my own roofing business for 2 years, and my own carpentry business for 3 years. I've also worked for other carpenters for about 4 years combined.

I applied to the union over a year ago. Here they have an 'apprenticeship and training program' -- maybe this is national.

They admitted me and invited me to apply to a local. But they admitted me at apprentice level. The pay would be $17.50/hour plus benefits. Actually that seems like a pretty good wage, even for Boston where cost of living is the highest in the nation. But I didn't want to become an apprentice after I already paid my dues for around 8 or 9 years.

I probably would have moved up to Journey fairly soon after starting, but I just chose to stay in business for myself and also work with another non-union company when I didn't want to handle the business side of things, sometimes.

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting paid - maybe you could also check into some other companies that have their business more in order.

It's just plain stupid for a company to delay paying their hardworking employees. All it requires is good organization, a good payroll service, and enough operating capital to pay everyone each week.

If a company don't have any of these things, then it's badly run or it's going bankrupt.

Anyway, if you do go union, have all your experience documented, like a resume, so that they see in black and white all your experience, and don't accept being admitted at apprentice level if you have 10 years experience. Be firm and confident. If the market needs union carpenters in your area, they will want to admit you.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
If you think Union GCs always make payroll, your dead wrong, It's a lot less likely they will go under, due to the funds needed in set up, but believe me, they do and when they do, they take out everything in sight, like a freekin atomic bomb. Suppliers, employees, developers, and just about everyone with their hands in the cookie jar.

Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts

http://www.hammer9.com/employment/framing_contract.html
Just show up on most Union job sites and most will put you to work. When a Union rep shows up on the job site he'll sign you up ($320 i think) monthly dues are $20 + 2% of weekly pay. Journeymen are up to $23.95 hr
you'll need 140 hrs a month for insurance any hr's under the 140 will be out of pocket self payment. Used to be 130 hr's. So getting a 40hr work week in is almost needed to bank hours for insurance so no selfpay is needed during the winter or rain days.
You would be better off going commercial (metal studs and hanging drywall for close to $30hr) Vacation pay,overtime with time and half and double time,Holiday pay, better pension..... Things the frammers don't get.
Good luck on the path you choose!
Brent

1 - 5 of 5 Posts