Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are painting vinyl windows (i know i know, its not advised) black, with a vinyl safe mix that sherwin williams put together. It was with a mix of blue and another color. The problem is that the blue really shows, even after 3 coats. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also is there anything you can put over the vinyl once painted to help seal it?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,989 Posts
Wait... what? After 3 coats there's still tiny spots that aren't covered?

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Wait... what? After 3 coats there's still tiny spots that aren't covered?
I think he means the paint mix is separating somehow.

OP, what specific paint at SW did you use? Now that there's a coat on it, I'd probably switch brands, and go with a premium grade. Btw, I don't think the vinyl will like the extra heat from dark paint.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,989 Posts
It looks to me like the blue is the vinyl, not the paint.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Painting vinyl windows is a crapshoot.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And it rarely lasts very long.

I've had factory painted windows that chip and peel before I even get them off the delivery truck.

And yep, the dark color won't help any.

Also, did you use a roller? That doesn't look like you sprayed them. That's the only way I would even try to paint vinyl frames, but I wouldn't. Not for a customer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The vinyl safe colors suck. They remove the black colorant and add blue instead, I am never happy with them, you will not eliminate the blue hue.
There is nothing you can put over them that will help in any way with sealing, paint is a sealer.
Advice - I would strip them and leave them alone. I will not paint vinyl windows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those looks like roller marks to me. Since paint doesn't like to stick to vinyl, I would prime the vinyl first. You might have to strip the paint, prime, then spray.

Since you are doing this on a vertical surface, 2-3 light coats should work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts