Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright...well I've been doing side jobs with my boss from the cabinet shop i work at and now am doing jobs with a local contractor...however, i want to start working on my own, my question is do i need to get licenses?...i live in Michigan...and also how do i advertise for jobs?...I'm starting to buy tools now and am hoping to get small jobs in the area...any ideas how to start would be great... thanks guys
-John

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am kinda in the same boat. I am a fireman with years of construction exp. now myself and my partner are going into business together. What I was told is to get everything set first. Lic, Ins, Bond all the paperwork needed for the business. Then advertise so when you start getting the jobs it is easier to keep track of everything and concentrate on the job at hand and not all the office stuff.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Before doing anything, go to the building dept. and find out what is required to get a license in your trade. Most have an application package that outlines all of the steps, ours even provides a checklist.
Once you are sure that you can qualify for the license that you want then call some contractors that you may want to sub for and ask them how much ins. they require, this will give you a $ amount. Get the ins.
If you are going to register a fictious name, get started on that, here it has to run in the paper for 2 weeks but a reciept that you have paid for it will get you by.
Get with the SBA, an attorney or business accountant and decide your business structure (Inc., LLC, sole proprieter). Start that paperwork.
Open a bank acct. in the business name.
Take your lic. app, proof of ins., proof of fictious name, and new checkbook down to the building dept. and file for your license.
When your license is issued, congratulations! You're in business.
This is in a nutshell and everything varies from place to place but this will help you get started. BTW, listen to the pros (accountant, SBA, attorney, etc.) advice more than your peers.
For advice on sales, marketing and other topics, check the archives on this site. There are days worth of excellent reading on all topics with some humor thrown in from time to time plus you'll get to know all of us a little better. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have a good source for Business Forms?

I'm looking for estimate sheets, sub contractor agreements, contracts, etc...

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts