Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello~ I currently live in Mississippi...it is awful here...no jobs! I have a master's license from the state of Virginia. My qualifier there was 10 years of verifiable experience...I have 14 years now. Is there a way to use my experience to get a license in Florida? I really want to move to Orlando and I noticed that most of the ads for plumbing jobs want you to hold a Florida license. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello All,

You need to be registered or certified to do construction work in Florida. You can get a "registered" contractor's license at the local level, unless a certified license is required by the county you want to perform the work in. Contractors with a "certified" license are allowed to work anywhere in the state.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FL Plumbing License Questions

I would definitely recommend a Certified license - you take one test, submit one application and go through the process once to work in any county in the state. If you go registered, you have to do so for each county you want to work in. The employment ads you've seen will most likely want a state Certified license.

To get a FL Certified Plumbing Contractor's license, you must take and pass the exam and then apply for the license. On the application, you must show at least 4 years of experience, which must be verified by a FL licensed contractor or an architect, engineer or building official licensed in any state. As long as you can get your experience verified by appropriate person, then you obviously have the required experience.

The whole process takes a lot of investment of time and money, so you might want to be sure that a move to Florida is what you want to do, at least within the next 3 years, before pursuing the license. Start with the exam - you have 3 years after passing to actually apply for the license. Then look at your options of where you want to work, BEFORE actually applying for the license (determining the company you will be qualifying ahead of time will save a lot of money, time and hassle).

Feel free to contact me with any specific questons on the FL license.

Thanks,
Kristie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts