Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at phone with one developer today. He ask me help him in roof framing and give me address. Come home and at TV there is collapsed trusses exactly where I should check tomorrow.
New roofs at long buildings often fall down. I had one close call when I was employee and only good luck that we was at brake sawed us.
As I understand at long roofs 2 X 4 or 6 braces somehow act in serial not in parallel to hold roof. Best solution so far that I know is setting plywood as soon is possible at part of roof that is framed. Any other idea? Maybe set 10 X more roof braces?

·
Super Moderator
24,647 Posts
Long roofs, long walls, tall roofs, tall walls doesn't matter, just brace them off good...

Absolutely no excuse for collapsed trusses.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The trusses should come with that standardized generic erection and bracing detail.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thats inexcusable. Those do not even look like tall trusses. "X" brace and diagonal brace every 20' as you go and you wont have any problems. It makes me sick to think that a commercial project like that- or any project for that matter- doesnt have a foreman competent enough to figure that out

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Best solution so far that I know is setting plywood as soon is possible at part of roof that is framed. Any other idea? Maybe set 10 X more roof braces?
Good idea but your trusses shouldn't be falling down even with no plywood. Common sense goes a long way when you're bracing trusses. Do some planning, make sure you have enough material and all your guys know how you want it braced off. The times I've seen trusses fall is due to guys either being lazy or inexperienced. I saw a crew get tired of nailing uprights to the building at the gable ends for support, so they just left them off. It worked for a while but eventually they had one slip off the end of the building. I've seen trusses simply slide off the top of the wall while they're moving them around and hit somebody. That's mainly due to inexperience, make sure you have an experienced crew for your roof. Put the beginners on walls, floors, or pick-up.

Just saw the video, looks like the wall came down while the trusses were on it. I don't know what they did, but my guess is someone took the wall braces off before they even had sheeting on the roof. And they might not have had the new wall nailed to the old existing wall. So the wall was sitting there loose, no braces and not attached to anything. Those are small trusses so they might have gotten lazy and left off the 2x4 brace running along the top of the trusses as they were rolling them. So it could have been a combination of things. But like I said, if you're going to roll trusses then you need some experience, don't learn it over the internet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts