Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm doing some remodeling project inside my house and I need to raise several non-bearing partition wall to form a study room.

The black is existing wall and blues are new ones. I got several books about framing but none of them talks about how to frame those 2 45-degree angles. Any ideas how to do that? Plus how to do drywall afterwards?

Thanks a lot for helps!
Jin

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I don't understand the question? Just cut the end of the bottom and top plates at 45s, but some blocking in the angles created. Nail through the end studs and blocking to fasten the walls together. Screw the drywall on, tape it and mud it.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Ok last time I seen this the print was not showing up.

I would use a speed square for one and cut the 45 in half on 2x material ie 2/45=22.5 degrees. As for rocking rock like any other wall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The two longer boards for the top plate and bottom plate have to be cut at 22.5 degrees. The short board on the 45 degree wall has both ends cut at 22.5 degrees. Everything I have seen about the wall studs has them positioned so the the inside corners touch, and they are perpendicular to the plate boards, just like normal framing.

·
Super Moderator
10,558 Posts
Trick of the trade

Hey Guys:

When you build the walls on a 45, cut the plates at matching 22.5 degree angles and set the last stud two and a sixteenth inches from the long side.
When you cut in the corner nailer, rip it at 22.5 degrees, 2 inches wide and you'll get two exact pieces that fill in the corner perfectly

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Warren said:
Hey Guys:

When you build the walls on a 45, cut the plates at matching 22.5 degree angles and set the last stud two and a sixteenth inches from the long side.
When you cut in the corner nailer, rip it at 22.5 degrees, 2 inches wide and you'll get two exact pieces that fill in the corner perfectly
You can if you some how miraclously out bid your competition with a profitalble bid that you could waste time with stuff like that.

Fasten studs on each short piont corner of the top and sole plate leaving a gap on the long. It ok to float the rock a inch. Hell I won't put a nailer on walls if a joist or truss is less that 6-8 inches or the full width of a riggin axe.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hell I won't put a nailer on walls if a joist or truss is less that 6-8 inches or the full width of a riggin axe.
And your drywaller ends up having to put in that nailer that you left out, lot of guys frame like that, you can hang it that way, but it's a PIA to tape a corner that floats in & out. You can do it with setting compound and maybe it won't crack, but I wouldn't put a warranty on it.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
walldoc said:
And your drywaller ends up having to put in that nailer that you left out, lot of guys frame like that, you can hang it that way, but it's a PIA to tape a corner that floats in & out. You can do it with setting compound and maybe it won't crack, but I wouldn't put a warranty on it.
The Mexicans just go go go and don't look back. There was a white sheetrock crew that worked behind me once they would ***** ***** *****. Now there isn't to many white sheet rockers anymore. Bitched themselve out of a job. lol
Now alot of builder want clips with a nailer 16 inches away from the wall. This combats the cracks that nailers cause. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not putting in a corner rip is hack. It takes no time to do it right, and thus tight. In general, Framing is two things: structural first, and then setting up the boardhanger. Follow those two rules and be in business when the business gets slow. After all, isn't reputaion everything? Sorry to stir up the smelly stuff, but just had to add my 2 cents.

-old

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
old27 said:
Not putting in a corner rip is hack. It takes no time to do it right, and thus tight. In general, Framing is two things: structural first, and then setting up the boardhanger. Follow those two rules and be in business when the business gets slow. After all, isn't reputaion everything? Sorry to stir up the smelly stuff, but just had to add my 2 cents.

-old
No need for it. Plus the price of lumber says the load is tight. Don't you know it's quanity over quality. Loball wins loball has the job. :Thumbs:
Also considering that the hangers and the finish carps get paid more to doll up the house they can figure it out. lol It's warfare up here.
Never heard mexican's ***** and they are out of the house three days quicker at least.

Also I have kept my job by tight material management. My scrap pile is a bunch of tooth picks. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
262 Posts
you don't know how to do it, do you.

Quality keeps people in business over the long haul. And just for the record, I had a "white" boardhanging crew do the last frame I did...they were exceptionally non-bitchy. Four words equals a tight frame: Plumb, square, level, and most importantly Parallel. I'll give you my address and you can come frame with us for a week...you'll see that speed and quality are one in the same. I wouldn't lie to you...It can be done.

Leaving the boardhangers "hanging wood" gets you fired in this neck of the Northeast....

-Eric

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
old27 said:
you don't know how to do it, do you.
+
Leaving the boardhangers "hanging wood" gets you fired in this neck of the Northeast....

-Eric
Oh I know how to do it. Were hired for struc only. We're in the middle of the tet offensive over here. I-5 from the border is 24 hrs a way.

They don't put up backing over a trivial nailer. Any way we are finding out that nailers are the #1 cause of cracks. This is why clips are being used. As for a 45 corner the rock can be floated 1 inch with no problems b/c that is what it is. We do cali production style. If your crew doesn't put up 2 houses or more a month your fired. Trivial crap like a lil piece of pos backing that doesn't matter with cost you time and your job. Houses go like hot cakes builder don't have time to waste because there is another build right behind him that has a tract box ready to sell.

I did start the fire I didn't scab when the residential carps walked to the otherside of the street. This what they get because I don't have a retirement or a health plan. Hope you like your house that I built on this family mans back. You get what you pay for and it isn't quality they want.

The NE and NW are to different places in the same country. You will never see a this old house episode here. lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts