Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are adding a room to our log home. The new roof butts into the existing log wall. The existing wall is a full log wall, not log siding. How do you flash into the existing logs or somehow waterproof that joint? Has me puzzled. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
You'll have to cut the existing log wall to accept the new framed wall. I.E. notch the log so the framed up wall sits back at the valley created by the logs. Then it's like any other inside corner.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
If I understand you correctly the new shingles hit the log, or but up close. Leave a little space between log and shingle, then cut a line up the return an inch or so up off the roof, bend and tuck your flash in that cut......use some good sealant too.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the responses. And I think cdac and tinner666 have the answer I was looking for. I couldn't figure out how to cut a straight line into the logs that would be deep enough to seat a flashing with all the curves and protruding knots. The counterflashing seems to make perfect sense.

Again, thanks much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts