Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I stained a white mahogany exterior door using MinWax oil base stain. I used only one coat because the homeowner did not want the color to be any darker. I put one coat of Helmsman Spar urethane on the door and noticed a couple of runs. I tried to sand off the runs with 220 grit sandpaper and it began to take the stain off. Any advise??? Some one told me a high grit sandpaper soaked in Mineral Spirits. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
you don't want to sand your stain off....that would suck to fix. so since you have to put multiple coats of clear on anyway just sand it before your last coat and try to remove the sags.

Spar varnish likes to sag. try cutting it with paint thinner, that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I recently put on a second coat and tried to build up around the sags and it looks better. It may take several more coats but if that is what it takes. I was also thinking that it I build it up with several coats, I will be able to sand the sags down and put on one last finish coat.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
We use std utility knife blades. Hold the blade at a slight negative angle on the vertical plane, so as not to gouge in, & angle a little left to right. It takes two hands to hold the blade, but with a little practice, you can shave it down as much as you want. We've been doing this in our shop for well over 15 years, with excellent results. Its a little dicey if the finish is still soft though.
Joe

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Something just sounds wrong! The varnish taking the stain off of a wood door?

Something is wrong with this picture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
read the original post. I was sanding the varnish and the sanding was also taking the stain off. Your not a very smart one are you or do you think your better than everyone and have a smart comment for everything. If so this website is not for you, this is here to share experiences and help each other.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Do you have enough in the budget to buy a new door and hire an experienced painter?

·
Registered
684 Posts
would you like to aquire Really Bad Improvers back for , lets say $98.01 on top of what i purchased it for? lmao

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
OK, now that I understand better. It would seem that someone used a cheap water based stain on the door, it's the only thing that I've seen that would stay on top of the wood.

Another option might be that someone before you had stained a varnished door with water base.

Here's another scenario. High dollar door made in Indonesia with whatever it is that they use for a finish.

I'd point out the crappy stain and go for a total refinish.

BTW, I don't get runs in my varnish. I've been doing yacht quality for 44 yrs. most of it ON YACHTS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts