Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the Zinsser products (Bin, Bulls Eye and Perma White) from time to time but they give off a very strong odour. Partly due to the paint and the mildewcide.

Do any of you put anything into the paint to eliminate or reduce the odour. I heard vanilla extract was good. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Zeebo Painting

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Vanilla extract does a nice job, old timers trick. It's alcohol based, blends well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Teetorbilt said:
Vanilla extract does a nice job, old timers trick. It's alcohol based, blends well.

Thanks...how much would you put in a gallon of paint. A tablespoon or more??

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Great tip about the vanilla
I use a primer sealer called Aqua-Lock when odor is a big issue
I don't like it as much as the Zinsser product, but once I primed shelves with it in a restaurant, with people eating on the other side of the half-wall where I was working
No complaints from any customers in the place at all, they really didn't know what I was doing
The stuff just doesn't smell

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slickshift said:
Great tip about the vanilla
I use a primer sealer called Aqua-Lock when odor is a big issue
I don't like it as much as the Zinsser product, but once I primed shelves with it in a restaurant, with people eating on the other side of the half-wall where I was working
No complaints from any customers in the place at all, they really didn't know what I was doing
The stuff just doesn't smell
The zinsser product has an oil based product called cover stain. It's a primer and has no odor. It drys very quickly and is ideal for most surfaces. Who sells the Aqua lock product??? Zeebo

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
Zeebo said:
The zinsser product has an oil based product called cover stain. It's a primer and has no odor. It drys very quickly and is ideal for most surfaces. Who sells the Aqua lock product??? Zeebo
Zeebo,
the distributor in Canada is Para Paints and most Para dealers
should have it or can order it for you.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Zeebo said:
Oooh I didn't know Zinsser had a no-odor product, thanks
-Cover Stain- I'll have to look for that

I get the Aqua-Lock from my favorite local independent Paint Shop
It's made by Insl-x
Insl-x Products
Stony Point, NY 10980

·
Registered
79 Posts
Zeebo said:
Thanks...how much would you put in a gallon of paint. A tablespoon or more??
I would like to know how much to add per gallon myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts