Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

How to effectively advertise your company on craigslist.

18K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Anchor Fence 
#1 · (Edited)
EZINEARTICLES.COM WANTS ME TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW THAT MY NAME IS JOHN BURKE AND THAT I AM THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR OF THIS ARTICLE, SO,... THERE YA GO.

I noticed a few posts about pros/cons of craigslist and noticed that there was really no direction or advice regarding how to advertise your company on craigslsit so I decided to share some wisdom.

TIPS FOR ADVERTISING AND PROMOTING YOUR COMPANY ON CRAIGSLIST:

In today’s internet marketing community; everyone has a great desire to find the “next best thing” when it comes to secrets and trends. It is without a doubt that http://www.craigslist.com has become one of those trends for internet marketing and promoting your business online. In today’s topic, I will cover the basics of “how to advertise on craigslist” and I will go over advanced tips for maximizing your return rate from advertising on craigslist; as well as, how you can increase your website stats as well as promote your craigslist post within search engines without having to submit them!

HOW TO ADVERTISE ON CRAIGSLIST:
Craigslist is extremely easy to advertise on and best of all IT IS FREE! (there are a few industries that have to pay for advertising on craigslist but I forget what they are, they are something like acupuncture and stuff like that… If you are reading this than 99.99% of chance says Craigslist will be free for you to advertise on).

THE BASICS:
To make a post on craigslist, simply visit www.craigslist.com and select the area (city/state) that you would be interested in advertising in. Once an area is selected you will be brought into the classifieds section. IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER you will see a link that says “post”, click on that to create a post.

You will now have to select what category you would like your post to be in. (keep in mind, some categories may require you to create an account and verify that account via telephone – automated call with a verification code).

you are now ready to begin advertising and creating your post: This part is pretty self explanatory, you enter in the title (catch phrase – This is what people see when browsing through the classifieds so make it appealing). You then enter in your location (usually city/state), then write your advertising in the main section below that.
Craigslist does not work like a search engine so there is no way to “optimize” your way to the top” however, there are some things you can do to maximize the results you see from using craigslist as a venue for advertisement…

ADVANCED POSTING TIPS:
The main body section of the craigslist post DOES support HTML code. (dont get scared from that, its not hard). This means that you can use the standard Bold, Underline and Italic codes as well as more advanced HTML codes. Below I will show an example of how to do this.

BOLD: to make your text bold when entering it into the craigslsit post all you have to do is simply place <b> before your text and </b> after your text selection… that text selection will now be bold.
for example: If you were to enter “The dog is <b>blue</b>.” into the main body of the post, it would look like this: The dog is Blue.

UNDERLINE: Underline is the exact same concept as the above mentioned “Bold” tactic, except instead of typing <b>example</b>, you would type <u>example</u>. Are you starting to see the pattern here?

ITALIC: you guessed it! The code for italic would be <i>example</i>
KEY: <b>example</b> = example, <u>example</u> = example, <i>example</i> = example
You can use these methods to ***** up your post and make it look appealing as well as make certain parts and specials stick out!

HEADERS!!!
Headers are probably one of the most important parts of your craigslist post for a few reasons. (1) Headers are large/bold text that appears at the top of the post and catches peoples eye almost instantly when they view your post and (2) Search Engines can browse your headers for SERPS (more on this below)

how to add headers to your post:
There are a few types of headers, there is the <h1>, <h2>, <h3>, <h4> etc,… we will focus on just the <h1> header for now.
headers should be at the top of the post and used to catch your viewers eyes as soon as they visit your post. Creating headers is similar to making your text bold, underline or italic; except you use the <h1></h1> tags instead.
FOR EXAMPLE: lets say you are advertising a fence company on craigslist. Your header should look something like “<h1>FREE ESTIMATES and SPECIAL WINTER PRICES…CALL NOW 800-888-8888</h1>”. Doing this will cause your header text to become bold and fairly large not to mention the search engine benefits that come along with it (more on that below)

PHOTOS: Try to add a NEAT/CLEAN photo in your post of the product you are offering. This gives the viewer a sense of ownership, they see it and they want it. Do not overdue the photos.

HOW TO OPTIMIZE A CRAIGSLIST POST FOR SEARCH ENGINES:

MAKE A KEYWORD LIST: When people search for items on craigslist it searches for keywords within peoples posts to verify if that post is viable or not for that viewer/searcher.
To increase the chances of your post being found within craigslist, simply add a list of keywords at the bottom of your post. (keywords should be what you think people would type in if they were to search for your product). Below I will use the fence company for example again.
If I were to add a list of keywords for my fence company post, I would probably type the following at the bottom of my post:

“KEYWORDS: fence company, fence contractor, fence installation, chain link fence, vinyl fence, wood fence, privacy fence, fencing, etc…”

The reason for this is because if anyone were to type one of those words into the craigslist search bar, my post would show up! Try to add as many keywords as possible as it will increase the chances of your post being found; HOWEVER, be respectful and do not add keywords like “work truck” if you are selling coffee cups.

CREATE RICH CONTENT: Make sure the content in your post is very helpful and full of keywords that are consistent with your product or services. This will give the search engines something to get excited about when a search comes through their engines. for example: not only can you get found from craigslist members entering “coffee cups” but also from people using google and typing in coffee cups.

OPTIMIZE YOUR HEADER: Remember the header that we created from above? We want to make sure that the header contains one or two of our main keywords that are in the content of our post. The <h1>header</h1> is the first thing that search engines are going to look at when it finds your post relevant to a certain keyword search so make sure it has your 2 best keywords in it.

I hope these tips will allow you to increase your sales by using craigslist. It is a great venue for companies to receive free advertisement that is viewed by millions of people. Keep in mind that you will need to “re-post” your posts every few days because you will move down that latter and want to bring yourself back to the top. (make sure you save your post in notepad or microsoft word so you dont have to type it all again.

thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the information and make use of it! Please vote sticky for this post if you found it helpful! :clap:

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a hard time imagining a professional company advertising on Craigslist. In fact, I think of it as bottom feeding, it could actually hurt a companies reputation.

Maybe I'm wrong here, because God knows i don't know everything but just because it's free doesn't mean it's worth spend time doing.

Again maybe I'm wrong but I just can't, for the life of me, imagine top remodeling companies posting an advertisement in Craigslist.

I'm not bashing CL users, just being honest and saying what I think.

Mike

#5 ·
@ Mike: To each his own, however, my question to you would be a simple one... WHY? Why wouldnt you want a customer from craigslist? that is no different from a customer that walks into your storefront asking for your services, their money is just as green and their credit cards are made from the same plastic.

In regards to the long post... sorry. lol

#14 ·
@ Mike: To each his own, however, my question to you would be a simple one... WHY? Why wouldnt you want a customer from craigslist? that is no different from a customer that walks into your storefront asking for your services, their money is just as green and their credit cards are made from the same plastic.

In regards to the long post... sorry. lol
Actually there is where you are wrong. A customer calling me from a Craigslist ad is way way way different then a walk in. Craigslist is one giant garage sale and those who read it and shop it are looking for the bottom bargain. Which most of us do not sell. Craigslist buyers may use the same green color money but it's without a doubt in a lessor amount. Oh and there are no credit card users on Craigslist either. One thing Craigslist is really good for and have no shortage of are spammers and scammers.

When we redo our showroom from time to time we list our extra display cabinets on Craiglist and the sheet that comes out from under the toilet is mind boggling and amazing. Bottom feeding uneducated idiots.

#9 · (Edited)
I am curious to know why a hundred dollar bill from Joe at the office is different from a hundred dollar bill from mark on craigslist?

Quick fact; craigslist is the #32 most visited website IN THE WORLD. I wonder why? probably because there are millions of customers that use it daily.

If you do not wish to use craigslist, more power to you.

#23 · (Edited)
Keyword in my post "INTERNET MARKETING" which includes ALL venues that can promote or advertise my clients and their websites and provide useful for increasing revenue via the internet.

I am also curious to know why a hundred dollar bill from Joe at the office is different from a hundred dollar bill from mark on craigslist?

you must also be ignorant of the fact that craigslist is the #32 most visited website IN THE WORLD. I wonder why? probably because there are millions of customers that use it daily.

If you do not wish to use craigslist, more power to you but I would recommend that you reconsider your "foundation" of marketing. :clap:
Well, as promised earlier I will explain.

Remember to keep in mind my first post on this thread, I'm not against Craigslist and I also mentioned the fact that maybe I just don't get it. It's nothing more than my opinion, something that many here know I'm a pretty open fella about.

Anyhow, CL is a marketing vehicle and different marketing vehicles bring with it different types of customers. Sure, a 100 clams is a 100 clams but that's a poor indication of success.

What I feel is more important is the type of customer it brings to my business. Look how much time is spent talking about how to qualify a customer. One reason (not the only one) we spend time to qualify is the marketing vehicle itself. Word of mouth (WOM) is something that every busines realizes is the king of marketing. Why? Because it's cheap? Sure, I suppose so but the falacy in business is that's the only reason. In reality WOM qualifies the customer quicker before he/she even calls, it's the very nature of WOM. WOM is a timesaver, and besides that WOM customers pay MORE than some stranger that visits CL.

WOM and CL customers are a whole different cat all together. Yes it's nice to have the phone ring but that should never be the focus of a business.

I can make the phone ring all day long but that has nothing to do with profit. Ever notice how some contractors are always complaining and some contractors never complain? Some are smoking busy and others are dead in the water. Both of these contractors can be in the same area competing for the same customer. It's because not all marketing is the same just like not all personalities are the same. CL simple doesn't bring the best customer.

I have a cabinet maker by my house who is booked for three years. He has never advertised, and he doesn't even have an official logo. 2 other cabinet makers in town have a decent stream of work as well yet they are just getting by. They both complain of customers being cheap......yada, yada, yada....you know the rest of the story.

The two who complain both have all the typical advertising in the book.

The guy that makes massive margins does nothing but network and push and promote word of mouth .......BUT he does it TO THE RIGHT PEOPLE. Again, CL doesn't suppy this.

He will tell you the same thing I'm saying, he doesn't want strangers calling him. Referrals are the only type of business he wants, in fact he demands it!

So my question is why bother with a CL type customer and all the crap that goes along with it if you can spend time developing a WOM strategy, a strategy that is know to work the best?

The answer is most people don't know how. I find this absolutelly crazy, if it's the best than why avoid it. Put every ounce of energy into it and create a business with better customers, better margins, less free time, less headaches, and more fun.

If you have a dozen employees or want a massive corporation than typical marketing is a must have but a smaller company that spends ZERO time building a strategy for WOM is making a big mistake. Great WOM doesn't happen by itself.

CL might work, and if it does than by all means use it. I just don't have time to deal with strangers the the baggage they come with, not to mention they tend to be cheap.

It's just not my type of customer. I want the customer who calls me up and says "you did work for so and so, can you come over and ........"

CL doesn't offer anything close to this. Why? It's a different type of customer and to earn the 100 from CL is a pain in the a$$.

Just my opinion, nothing more:thumbsup:

Mike

#17 · (Edited)
@ JF: I never once promoted my marketing company nor have I posted any comment or discussion that is irrelevant to any topic. If you search my posts, they are all helpful and relevant to the OP.

@ Jimmy: I agree very much so about scammers and spammer. I disagree with your concept of EVERYONE wanting bottom dollar product/service on craigslist. I never mentioned that each call you get from craigslist will be a $25,000 sale... but you must have faith in your ability to sale (or sales departments ability to sell) enough to know that you WILL get solid leads from craigslist.

Anchor Fence has done many credit card transactions from customers that were acquired from craigslist.

@ Mike: I hope your baby gets better soon. A sick baby is never fun nor is it good news. I do not expect everyone to agree and I do not take offense at your questions.

@ everyone: If you view craigslist as a "scum" form of advertising, than dont use it, I will have less competition for my clients. Fact is, I have seen large deals come from graigslist for my clients and I will continue to utilize it.

I would assume that the majority of your opinions are based on clicking on a particular category and then scrolling along until you find an ad title that is compelling but I assure you that the search bar IS used often and a properly optimized craigslist ad WILL show up in the results (at the top) when a customer searches for "your service here".

take it or leave it, the information is still good.

#19 ·
Craigslist is extremely easy to advertise on and best of all IT IS FREE!
Thank you for that post; informative and well done. Most people don't really have a clue regarding coding even rudimentary HTML.

[soapbox]

I do get tired of the constant characterization of Craiglist users as scammers and cheapskates. Yes, it's free, and people do look there for good deals. Sort of like a flea market or yard sale.

But treasures can be found anywhere. Just because it's a yard sale does not mean there's nothing of value there. I've picked up some good deals on tools and materials there, as well as good jobs.

If you don't care to do business on CL, then don't. But you also don't need to tell me daily how bad it is. I'm a grown man and can make my own determination.

[/soapbox]

#20 ·
Thank you for that post; informative and well done. Most people don't really have a clue regarding coding even rudimentary HTML.

[soapbox]

I do get tired of the constant characterization of Craiglist users as scammers and cheapskates. Yes, it's free, and people do look there for good deals. Sort of like a flea market or yard sale.

But treasures can be found anywhere. Just because it's a yard sale does not mean there's nothing of value there. I've picked up some good deals on tools and materials there, as well as good jobs.

If you don't care to do business on CL, then don't. But you also don't need to tell me daily how bad it is. I'm a grown man and can make my own determination.

[/soapbox]
Agreed!
Tinstaafl----->
(new smiley for forum?) :laughing:

#21 ·
When I first stumbled across craigslist, I tried it. The phone did ring. I made a point of putting up an ad every other day, probably over a month period. Probably a dozen calls or e-mails.

I'm not very good at pre-screening. But half those leads, even I knew where dead ends after responding back. I visited the other half. They where all valid leads, but in each case, I was priced too high. Except for one.

On that job, I kept myself and three others busy through the entire winter last year. I didn't get top dollar, but it was worth it. Was a big hunk of the work from Nov-March. That's 5 months.

I also nearly landed another job building a horse barn. I backed out in the end for a variety of reasons. To many flags going up, I sensed trouble. Could of been a valid job, I'll never know.

Haven't used craigslist since. Mostly because of its reputation. I guess I just don't want to be associated with it.

This fall I paid $400 in ads in a couple of local papers. To be honest, the leads where of no better quality then Craigslist. And Craigslist was free.

So.... jury's out for me.

One thing for sure, referrals rule.

#24 · (Edited)
One thing I forgot to mention is advertising on CL is irritating. People go to CL to buy stuff and didn't ask for an ad. This type of marketing sucks when your a consumer, it's no different than when an insurance salesman comes knocking on your door.

WOM on the other hand is great because it comes from a friend and it's credible.

Mike

#27 ·
One thing I forgot to mention is advertising on CL is irritating. People go to CL to buy stuff and didn't ask for an ad. This type of marketing sucks when your a consumer, it's no different than when an insurance salesman comes knocking on your door.
Mike
Mike, I understand your thoughts on CL.
But, there is a section on CL that is called "Skilled Trade Services" that people can click on
if they are looking for someone to do a certain job that they are looking for.This is where you would put an ad.

-Paul

#25 ·
@ Mike: I agree with you 100% on the headache and majority of the types of leads from craigslist. I will not argue those points.

My debate was that you can get good jobs from craigslist and in order to do so, it will take a well optimized ad that can even be found by people who search GOOGLE, YAHOO and BING... (notice the section that says "how to have your ad found by search engines)...

This not only a good way to make craigslist customers find your ad but also a FREE way to have search engine customers find your advertising.

this may not be for all contractors or companies, but the ones that do opt to try it out will most certainly develop customers from it.

#26 ·
@ Mike: I agree with you 100% on the headache and majority of the types of leads from craigslist. I will not argue those points.

My debate was that you can get good jobs from craigslist and in order to do so, it will take a well optimized ad that can even be found by people who search GOOGLE, YAHOO and BING... (notice the section that says "how to have your ad found by search engines)...

This not only a good way to make craigslist customers find your ad but also a FREE way to have search engine customers find your advertising.

this may not be for all contractors or companies, but the ones that do opt to try it out will most certainly develop customers from it.
I understand what your saying. I enjoy discussing things of this nature, so many times people on forums don't like discussion. It seems like the second someone is challenged it's an issue. I think that's BS, this is how progress is made.

I appreciate your explaination and candor for the discussion. It was a good original post and helped me understand it more.

I may give it a try but I will put a code on it like I do everything else and measure the results , track it, put it on a spreadsheet and see what happens.

Thanks again

Mike

#28 ·
I would think that the selling expenses for Craigs list leads would be very high-----

I usually get 2 or 3 sales out of 4 calls from word of mouth referals----That is for larger jobs---

How many calls per sale from Craigs list? a lot more I'll bet---

So a $1000- sale --minus selling expense ---I am not sure Craigs list is for me.

I do like the discussion,so keep it up--It's nice to have a cival discussion ---Debates are good--Mike--

#30 ·
Word of mouth leads have their pitfalls as well. Those leads are more than "just business". C.L. leads are usually not high paying jobs, but frequently, easy money. As a plumber (you do service don't you), I wouldn't poo poo C.L..

There are many people out there who are fed up with the "Roto-Roosters" with the new rigs and fine tools that come with a high price. There are a lot of fancy folks out there who do use c.l. not because they are cheap, but because they are tired of taking the traditional route. The internet thing really has changed the way business are run.

#31 ·
Mike--The expenses I am talking about is the cost in time to sell a job---2 to 3 hours round trip to meet the new prospect--then an hour or more to make a proposal--then another trip to present it--

as much as 6 to 7 hours---that's a big consideration when getting un filtered leads from Craigs list--

The work I do is remodeling---mostly bathrooms,this year. I just don't think that Craigs list is a good spot for the quality of customer that I appeal to.--Mike--

#32 ·
Mike--The expenses I am talking about is the cost in time to sell a job---2 to 3 hours round trip to meet the new prospect--then an hour or more to make a proposal--then another trip to present it--

as much as 6 to 7 hours---that's a big consideration when getting un filtered leads from Craigs list--

The work I do is remodeling---mostly bathrooms,this year. I just don't think that Craigs list is a good spot for the quality of customer that I appeal to.--Mike--
Gotcha, that's pretty much what I was saying. Selling can be a whole different animal. Just about every referral I get I can close immediatelly. The also pay more and pay on time.

I don't write off CL though, I can see where certain people can make it work.

Mike

#33 ·
I noticed a few posts about pros/cons of craigslist and noticed that there was really no direction or advice regarding how to advertise your company on craigslist so I decided to share some wisdom.

This is an Article that I wrote a while back and can be found at the following link: http://homesteadseopro.wordpress.co...rtising-promoting-your-company-on-craigslist/

TIPS FOR ADVERTISING AND PROMOTING YOUR COMPANY ON CRAIGSLIST:

! Please vote sticky for this post if you found it helpful! :clap:
Very interesting information, I like posting in CL's because I benefited when I needed the most, un-expected customers that were ready and willing had in many ocassion saved my butt specially in these tough times.:thumbup:

This remodeling job I'm about to finish in Thousand Oaks came from the great CL's...

#34 ·
From the looks of that job, I am sure you are not disappointed about posting a craigslist ad.

Grats on the job and more grats on utilizing cl.

@ Mike: very much do appreciate the discussion, there is nothing wrong with disagreeing and debating. We wouldnt be America without it. As long as the end of the debate is clear that I am right :w00t: (we wouldnt be America without that either)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.