Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Contractor
8,136 Posts
29,750.... I'd just get 30 thou and figure it good.

However, if I had to install them, I'd come up with a solution that involved...

Rebar, washers, a magnet and a welder.

Oh, you'll need a hammer too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can probably design you a cart that inserts them as it is moved along. The hardest part would be assuring that all the nails are aligned head up in the device.
Or maybe see if they have collated nails and a driver for them.

Really, every 5 inches? jeez. one acre? Check your math. you need a LOT MORE than that. There are 43560 square ft to an acre. One Every 5 inches is about 4 per square ft. more or less. The total would be about 4X 43560 which is more like 180,000 SPIKES! That would weigh TONS.

I hope you have a heavy wallet and I hope that you have NO ROCK , especially base rock!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just looked up some installation references, Along edges at 4 to 8 inches depending upon brand. Some require spikes in the field at a rate of 1 every 4 ft (diamond pattern would be most efficient I think?). Some say that they weight of the product will hold it down and that the edges are the only place spikes are needed.
Many artificial turfs are 12 to 15 ft wide (like carpet).
So. it looks like an acre would need about 4000 spikes if none are needed in the field.b I definitely would be making sure that I purchased the product with the least nail requirements!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,797 Posts
Buy spikes. Drive to airport. Rent helicopter. Fly over astroturf at about 10k ft. Toss out all the spikes.

You're welcome.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts