Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on building a house using a prefabricated metal building system. One of the beams will go from the interior through the wall to the exterior. We live in Northern Indiana with hot summers and cold winters. How can I prevent thermal loss through the beam which can also create condensation? Or Is this not an issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The customer likes the exposed steel beam and I see it a lot in pictures as well. Just not sure if it is right for our climate?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts
Then insulate the outdoor part and it won't conduct the cold inside enough to get condensate on the beam.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Spray Foam works great, Its the best way...Tigerfoam.com. I would use it around the perimeter rim joist as that can condensate as well

·
President
1,349 Posts
Hmm. Not sure if this applies...

In my shop, a block building, I have 2 exposed H beams. And a 14" thick ceiling above the two exposed beams.

The beams, rest on two cinder block columns at either end, and then the cinder block wall then the outside. The beams don't actually go outside.

However, I have never had a problem with condensation on the beams. However during the summer, if it gets really hot, really fast...say 60-75f. Then a week of 90f weather, the concrete floor will sweat something terrible!

In the winter however, I don't really have a problem with condensation. I have found however that it is important to keep the temperature somewhat stable thruogh the seasonal changes.

Also, if this beam is going thruogh to the outside and exposed to the outside, you will run into a heat problem

I would insulate with an air barrier at the point where the beam enters the living area. As well as outside. If possible, encapsulate the beam outside, but leave the beam exposed inside. This will allow the beam to warm up, with out being chilled. I personally like the structual look, and framing in the beam is kinda dumb in my opinion. So, if possible I would insulate the exposed beam outside, and leave the inside exposed. However prime and paint the inside beam with exterior grade paint as it will withstand temperature changes better.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Explain to the HO that the laws of physics prohibit that look outside of certain temperate climates.:blink: He wants a CA industrial modern house, then he has to move to somewhere with CA weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts