Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
This will be my first time posting in the general discussion forum seeking advice so any help is appreciated! I’m just over a year into running my own business and I have a unique experience to share.
I have recently been contacted by a customer who booked a free consultation. Upon arriving at the property I immediately noticed the hoarding of everything under the sun surrounding her entire home. Not only is the exterior of the home buried in mattresses sinks and you name it, but the inside of the home is far from clean & livable or accessible because you have to slip in and around everything imaginable creating a very difficult and nearly impossible work space. Along with the clutter comes the scattered animal feces and urine throughout the entire home. My question for you all is how do I politely decline this customer who is obsessing over having me do the work because no one else will?
Thanks in advance!
Matt

·
Registered
GC
1,405 Posts
Lay it out and let the client decide.
The area will have to be emptied by others.
Access will have to be cleared by others.
Hazmat will have to be dealt with by a licensed disposal operator.
Once those criteria are met, you'd be vary happy to give them a price on the work that needs to be done. Thank you for the opportunity to bid your project.
Hoarders won't give up their trash for any reason, so that will be the end of the project.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You politely tell the customer you can't work in the conditions.
Offer your apologies and move on.
Robie
This was the initial response I was going with but I’m concerned about my reputation for turning down work and getting a bad rap by another “entitled customer“ who didn’t get their way. Perhaps I’m just overthinking things since this is a new experience Thanks for your advice! I’m going to start drafting an email response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lay it out and let the client decide.
The area will have to be emptied by others.
Access will have to be cleared by others.
Hazmat will have to be dealt with by a licensed disposal operator.
Once those criteria are met, you'd be vary to give them a price on the work that needs to be done. Thank you for the opportunity to bid your project.
Hoarders won't give up their trash for any reason, so that will be the end of the project.
Pounder
Very well put. I believe this will also be a good way to shy her away from expecting to get me in there. Good thinking!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Robie
This was the initial response I was going with but I’m concerned about my reputation for turning down work and getting a bad rap by another “entitled customer“ who didn’t get their way. Perhaps I’m just overthinking things since this is a new experience Thanks for your advice! I’m going to start drafting an email response.
If I take that sort of job is when I worry about my rep. My rep is just the opposite clients know I wouldn't take certain jobs or work in less than desirable neighborhoods. I turn down jobs for many reasons I hear "I was told you might not want to do my project".

I turned one down this year, the lady was so excited before I even looked at it. She may have paid any price but it was too much of a PITA. She was pretty upset but I can't take every job.

·
Super Moderator
11,977 Posts
I was faced with this once. During the walk through, I accidentally stepped on a plastic dust pan that was already broken and she was visibly upset by this. I told her that all personal property needed to be removed by others as I didn't want the liability of breaking something valuable. (If you've ever watched the show hoarders, you'll learn that EVERYTHING is valuable to people with this affliction)

Luckily I didn't get the job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was faced with this once. During the walk through, I accidentally stepped on a plastic dust pan that was already broken and she was visibly upset by this. I told her that all personal property needed to be removed by others as I didn't want the liability of breaking something valuable. (If you've ever watched the show hoarders, you'll learn that EVERYTHING is valuable to people with this affliction)

Ironically this is similar to my story as she told me everything in that building has some sort of value to someone and that’s the way she feels when someone asks her to throw it all out. Yes I’ve watched that show several times and it’s exactly what I thought about during my visit. Never did I expect to see to this in real life.

·
Builder
31,075 Posts
I'm with Robie, short and sweet 1 to the brain not 5 in the chest

I've been very spoiled in my construction career, lots of very nice homes and some not so nice. But the things I think are deal breakers my hands are like really? This ain't chit lol

I just made an offer yesterday for 35k less than asked off market for a single wide trailer because I like the location, was going to gut and remodel for 20k and some bag time originally - and rent for 8 years at 1100 a month then tear it down and build a single family rental, the neighborhoods becoming somewhat gentrified

After walking inside and seeing its condition, unreal, I didn't even walk the whole chit hole. I said offer 50k cash, 10 day guaranteed close, no contingencies or inspections

Will cost me 8k to tear that fvcker down and put it in roll offs with a back hoe, right after I bomb those roaches. The big fellas not working in that house I won't even inspect the whole thing 😆

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I'm with Robie, a horr and sweet 1 to the brain not 5 in the chest

I've been very spoiled in my construction career, lots of very nice homes and some not so nice. But the things I think are deal breakers my hands are like really? This ain't chit lol

I just made an offer yesterday for 35k less than asked off market for a single wide trailer because I like the location, was going to gut and remodel for 20k and some bag time originally - and rent for 8 years at 1100 a month then tear it down and build a single family rental, the neighborhoods becoming somewhat gentrified

After walking inside and seeing its condition, unreal, I didn't even walk the whole chit hole. I said offer 50k cash, 10 day guaranteed close, no contingencies or inspections

Will cost me 8k to tear that fvcker down and put it in roll offs with a back hoe, right after I bomb those roaches. The big fellas not working in that house I won't even inspect the whole thing 😆
Soft as a baby’s neck. Lol

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I would tell the customer in order for me to work in the house I would have to call the department of health to make sure that it will be safe for me to enter!

not only will they decline they will never tell anyone!

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,474 Posts
I'm certainly not going to be shy about rejecting a job because of conditions.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
7,172 Posts
“Thank you for your interest in (you company name here).

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with a bid for your project.

Good luck.”

·
Registered
General Contractor - Residential
164 Posts

Actually watched that show briefly today. You are right, everything is valuable to them. Would be very difficult not to do something to upset them I believe

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,683 Posts
End of the day, we're part of the oldest profession in the world. Quote the job for an amount that would make you willing to put up with the downsides. If you get it, you're being paid enough to deal with it. If not, your suffering is limited to the time spent on working up the quote--which shouldn't be all that much.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,342 Posts
You're overly-concerned about your 'rep'. You're gonna get bashed somewhere along the line no matter what. You'll be too expensive, too cheap, too slow, too fast, wear blue shirts, drive a Ford, you name it.... someone will be offended by it.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,474 Posts
Just remember the customers you get are the customers you keep getting. You keep getting hired by cheap people, it's what will keep coming for you. You have to be selective with who you choose to do business with so you can get into the right kind of client.

Of course that all goes out the window if you are hungry and need work to survive.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts