Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I went into the contracting business a little over a year ago. I've been busy straight through until two weeks ago, no paying work since. I've been driving around to job sites trying to drum up business and I have a few bids out, but no one has pulled the trigger yet.

So far I've built myself a deck, organized my garage, cleaned my tool trailer and added 120v electrical to the trailer. I am doing some land development work that keeps me somewhat busy. However, I am starting to run out of busy work.

How do you guys deal with the down time? I am literally going loopy, I've had stress headaches the last two days. Any advice on druming up work when your regular sources are dry?

·
Registered
463 Posts
The hunt for work is a drawn out process.
I started a new company, in a new area 3 years ago .
I gave up on advertising News paper, phone book, magazine.
I shrunk my crew to 3 or 4 guys .
Now i just talk to people , I pass out cards to every one i meet . I try to meet 10 new people a day . Try to look approachable , Its hard for me because I'm a big SOB , bald with a go-tee I'm told that I'm scary looking .
Ive been doing small jobs to meet more people so i can net work more work .
I only work on my street 3-5 mils either way.
It sounds silly but every one knows me here , If some one want a addition built they call me .
My company is called wellbuilt home additions LLC .
I don,t bid jobs I sell my design & price the job . No competition really . Ive drawn up 100s of plans and proposals in the last 3 years and built 24 + additions a new house and a bunch of roofing, siding ,window , kitchens & baths . I do allot of work for people doing there own work . footings, block work ,concrete, framing , brick /stone . In the end i build most of the job for them any way.:laughing:
I try to never say no .
My area is hurting now and most people cant get the money for major remodels . I mite head 1hr south where the money is :thumbup: but i hate to drive . John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some ideas: Advertising should be thought of as a consistent thing -- when work is plenty advertise; when work is slow advertise. Contact local magazines & place a small ad. We've been running an ad for a few months, nothing then last week started getting calls from people saying they saw our ad! Also make sure your company name, phone # are on your truck. We actually get calls from people who see us driving down the freeway -- of course it's a box truck so you can't miss it. We also joined our local Chamber of Commerce, no jobs yet but we're getting our name out there plus some of the get-togethers can be kinda fun meeting other local business owners. We've said this before - being in business 10+ years the majority of our business is from word-of-mouth. Can't say enough about good customer service -- that makes people remember you for sure! Make sure you have a 'live' person answering your phone - many people are turned off by a recording. Good luck!

·
www.magicpoolservices.com
831 Posts
Create a checklist on how you can improve your business DAILY, and make it a routine.

For example

" Source 1 new lead, develop 1 new networking partner "

These small steps WILL give you results.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it is a very wise investment of your time to let everyone you contact know what you do. It could be as simple as meeting someone in line at the store and handing them a card. You never know who your next big customer might be.

When I first started out I literally went door to door looking for work ( I hated it!), but it worked. I found customers that have given me several jobs a year from that time I spent hitting the streets when I had nothing better to do. 9 out of 10 are not interested at all, but you can find good customers that way.

Also invest some time in education. There is always something new to learn in this business. Make yourself more competitive by sharpening your sales skills etc..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts