Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Hardi has their own blades (recommended). Just throwing this out there, could be an issue later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
According to Hardi's instructions you can use any of the following:

1. Circular saw with a special diamond tipped "Hardi Blade" (made by Hitachi)....Use dust collection system or wear a mask as the dust is toxic!

2. Electric shears designed for fiber-cement siding.

3. Score & Snap, similar to method used on sheetrock.

Other method I have read about:

4. Use circular saw with carbide tipped blade...some say that installing the blade backwards results in a cleaner cut.

Hope it goes well. I'm just getting ready to start my first install as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love the Shears. I have lost more saws to Fiber Cement, but the shears do not make the dust so my drill just keeps plugging along. And you can breath without a mask :cheesygri

2b2s

·
Registered
20 Posts
Better late than never, right?

I install siding for a living and use the "snapper light" shears for individual cuts. As for walls that are shorter than twelve feet, in which you can cut a multitude of pieces at the same length I use a inexpensive carbide blade. Always side the longest walls first, the left over pieces will be used on small walls.
My best regaurds or however you spell that damned word.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If you go to the Hardi site, they now have a disclaimer for using anything but their own blades. Just a 'heads up'. I'm getting ready to do 4 gable ends and always try to stay up to date.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
here what i seen

I'm assuming you might be talking about cement board lap siding. If so they showed on this old house current project a new tool to cut it. I not sure what it is called i will describe. Its like this table that has a long knife and you line it up and then step on a pedal under table and it goes through it like butter. Doesn't even kick up any dust. :Thumbs: Just step on pedal and its one whack and a clean cut no dust :)

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
747 said:
I'm assuming you might be talking about cement board lap siding. If so they showed on this old house current project a new tool to cut it. I not sure what it is called i will describe. Its like this table that has a long knife and you line it up and then step on a pedal under table and it goes through it like butter. Doesn't even kick up any dust. :Thumbs: Just step on pedal and its one whack and a clean cut no dust :)
Sounds sexy dangerous.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The tool would be a shear. Good if you're a pro that does a lot of Hardie. I do some Hardie and can't justify the price.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I'm assuming

I assume that they are given all those cool new tools on This Old House for showing them on there show. I know manufacturers donate alot of the materials they use to show contractors. Must be nice. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Around here that shear is $600 and it looks like I could make it in my garage. Come to think of it, I just may measure it up one day when they are making me wait to get my materials ordered. :D

2b2s

·
175 Posts
We use the electric shears for rip cuts and gable cuts, 12" miter saw with carbide blade for square cuts,(diamond blades last longer but are too slow and create more dust) skil saw w/carbide blade min. 40 tooth for window cuts. Never use saws to cut this stuff indoors and always wear mask when using saws outdoors. The silica dust enters your lungs with a one way ticket and is a known carcinogen.

·
Registered
429 Posts
For the amount of Hardie I run,which is not a whole lot, a Norton (I believe its diamond chip, been a LONG time) concrete blade has been working fine for about 5 years. It still cuts pretty straight, considering I use it to cut stucco and brick from time to time to.
But it is very dusty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Unless you have a vacuum table with HEPA recovery up here, you are getting thrown off the site by homeowners and I think for good reason.

That silica dust is bad stuff.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unless you have a vacuum table with HEPA recovery up here, you are getting thrown off the site by homeowners and I think for good reason.

That silica dust is bad stuff.
Where's up here?

Up here :whistling I use a 10" SCMS and a crappy ryobi table saw with a 7 1/4" blade for rips. The shears have their place... for long angles and the like, but for productivity you need speed, and the shears can't compete, nor make an as nice cut as a sliding mitre.

I'd tell the homeowner to mind their business and stay inside (I'd say it real nice though:thumbsup:), this is man's work!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where's up here?

Up here :whistling I use a 10" SCMS and a crappy ryobi table saw with a 7 1/4" blade for rips. The shears have their place... for long angles and the like, but for productivity you need speed, and the shears can't compete, nor make an as nice cut as a sliding mitre.

I'd tell the homeowner to mind their business and stay inside (I'd say it real nice though:thumbsup:), this is man's work!
The most litigious city in the world...Washington DC.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts