Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wil build an enclosure for trash cans and material is 1,850 me and two others will work for two days i like to know how to calculate the labor. thank you for help me

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Lets see if i got this straight, your Union, and your asking us how to calculate labor?

Now I've seen it all.

Ok, you estimate 2.00 an hour for every scab, cause thats what you guys think a common man trying to feed his family is worth.

Then you tack on your new truck, a couple house payments, and hey pick the wife up something nice.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I have strong feelings in this dept.

Bob

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Bob - You forgot PAC contributions (to Democrat candidates only), free health care coverage and 3 weeks vacation per year. O, and don't forget triple time for working holidays.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have worked union and non. If I was not running my own work there is no way I would work non union again.

p.s. I liked the health insurance and vacation pay but I never got more than double time and a half.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Don't knock the union. I have been a hold out for a long time. Now that I have a child and one on the way. I am now considering going union. One I don't get bennies and two some lowball ******************** that tells me one more time that 20 dollars a hour is all he can afford to pay his leads. I swear I punch him in the face. Hell some times 20 is to much.
I dont' know about you guys but 20 a hour isn't ******************** in WA.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Oh and the answer to your question of how to calculate labor is to first know what you and your guys can do in alotted time. That is how you can get a good estimate of labor. You can tell your self for days that it only take two days but that might just be a dream. you could get a book on means also but that is still some one else's estimate.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I have a Union card now. I was a totel Union contractor from 94 until 98.

Start paying for those guy's, then make a progress comparison with non.

You'll $hit your pants.

In 98 I spent $48.000 in 9 weeks, and I rode those fella's like dogs but didn't have crap too show for it. I HAD TO THROW IN THE UNION TOWEL RIGHT THERE.

And remember the non guys are making good money by getting the stinking job done, not just showing up.

Now if you say my name down at the hall, they gather around with torches, pitchforks and rakes, then chant something about Frankenstien.

Bob

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Bare labor is pretty simple - 2 guys * 16 hrs * wage = total labor
But that doesn't account for overhead, profit, FUTA, State Unemployment, Work Comp, Social Security, Medicare, GL Insurance, any benefits, etc..etc.
I've got an Excel workbook that calculates burdened wages (from current federal and MT %'s for these items) without any benefits or payroll administration I would have to charge the client 21.86 / hr if I paid someone 15 / hr.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Oops - re-read your post - 3guys instead of 2.
Reworking this burden if you want to account for 25% o&h - you're looking at 25.61 for the client and 15 for the worker.
So total labor would be 3*25.61*16 = 1230 - of course your burdens will be different depending on what your work comp, gl, and local and state tax rates are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts