Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need about 2000 SF of Denshield in 1/2 x 4x8 sheets. It seems like the last time I did this, I could order in pallet quantities plus any amount. So if there are 50 sheets on a pallet, I could order 50 plus sheets. This time I am told that I can only order in full pallet quantities.

This is a special order. One retailer made a mistake and I found out their mark-up is 20%. This seems like a large mark-up given that they get payment in advance, then order. Then they call me and have me pick up. They don't stock the product in their store or have to collect money from me.

Anyone have any experience buying direct? Are there any distributors, because the big box stores in this area seem to get shipments from the plants directly, along with their sheetrock, etc. Maybe they get the shipments from manufacturer-owned distribution centers.

Anyway, any tips on saving some money and buying in bulk and going closer to the manufacturer?

·
Carpe Diem
20,712 Posts
Maybe call GP and see if there's a distributor near you that maybe you're not aware of. That or maybe there's a large distributor not so close but will still deliver. GP should be of some help....that is considering you're trying to buy their product.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
20% markup is about standard actually. If you aren't charging one, perhaps it is time to adjust your business strategy....
The retailer is not in business to provide you with materials for your jobs at no benefit to them. It like any other business, if you can't make money at it, why do it.

Just giving you some food for thought here. We as contractors need to get out of this mindset that we (or anybody else) shouldn't make decent money off of materials. If I have to order it, handle it, transport it, babysit it, make sure it's the right color, not damaged, same dye lot, AND be responsible for it until it's installed....you can bet your ass somebody's paying for it.

edit: What Angus said, a distributor is who you want to be dealing with if possible. They are gonna get 20% too though, and if you are not a big enough buyer, you may end up paying as much as through a retailer by the time it is shipped. I have retailer friends who will piggyback my orders on retail orders so I don't have to eat the freight, unless I need it asap.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ditto Precision

Precisionfloors is right. If you aren't putting any margin on your materials you're nuts. What happens anytime you under-estimate material needed, damage something, don't get paid on a job, etc?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I give you zero chance of dealing direct with the manufacturer, or a distributer.

Unless you are going to purchase 100,000 sheets no distributer will mess with your order.

Why aren't you just buying that through Home Depot or Lowes, they both carry it and you can have them sell you a pallet easily. That's what them fork lifts are for.:laughing:

·
Contractor
4,733 Posts
to ask the obvious, have you called multiple distributors and asked for the best price on quantity? Even the box stores would do better on the big orders. Is the problem that it's a non-stockable size? What about utilizing the 3x5's for edge sheeting...if it works out on the layout.

·
Registered
132 Posts
20% is not bad at all. Remember all these dealers need to make a living also. If they dont markup then you dont have a place to buy a year from now. My suggestion is just talk to your sales rep at your box store or at your supply house and tell him you are getting a couple quotes on a couple pallets of denshield.

On any big buys use your sale reps let them work the best price for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts