Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I do right now is attach L bracket to post. At top of L bracket is "beaded handrail". At bottom of L bracket is 2X2 that sit in groove of beaded handrail. At bottom is 4X4 that I simply toe screw. My concern is if is better way to attach railing to post than L bracket.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This what menards is showing is useless. They screw from balusters from top and it is visible. Toe screw top ones would be bs to. And attaching handrail to post with toe screws is obvious safety concern.

Home depots have some handrails brackets that like follow shape of top plowed handrail and that would be useful.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or handrail brackets or L bracket for top handrail. I would not toe screw it. Especially not in a 1 and 1/4 thick board. I do not know if toe screwing is allowed at all. It is not in interior railing. Yet that fence that I'm replacing is completely toe screwed.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i would do a bunch of different things but i have those tools .So if I were to sujest one tool that would be versatile for you it would be pocket screw jig .https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-K4-Pocket-Hole-System/dp/B001DYFISG/ref=sr_1_7?crid=8AUG33ZA8KG8&dchild=1&keywords=kreg+pocket+hole+jig&qid=1623809450&sprefix=kreg%2Caps%2C233&sr=8-7 . get the fancist biggest kit . i even have the one for 1/4" screws .pretty versatile for so many things .you can plug the holes also . in the case of your railing you will be able to pull the joints tight .use some TB111 also ,seals the ends and also will add more stability . there are other brands out there ,maybe a better one .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts