Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
So I have recently started an Outdoor Living business in Montana where I distribute and install pergolas, patio covers, sunrooms and screen rooms and I am looking for advice on how to approach a general contractor about considering my product for his patio and outdoor area designs.

I am pretty confident in my sales ability and my marketing samples and materials but any advice on how I would maybe approach an initial phone conversation, how to set up that first meeting and what they would want to hear when I'm in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to be pretty much a sub contractor for them.
Thank you all for the help!

Paul
Big Sky Outdoor Living

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,391 Posts
Hello everyone,
So I have recently started an Outdoor Living business in Montana where I distribute and install pergolas, patio covers, sunrooms and screen rooms and I am looking for advice on how to approach a general contractor about considering my product for his patio and outdoor area designs.

I am pretty confident in my sales ability and my marketing samples and materials but any advice on how I would maybe approach an initial phone conversation, how to set up that first meeting and what they would want to hear when I'm in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to be pretty much a sub contractor for them.
Thank you all for the help!

Paul
Big Sky Outdoor Living
Where about you located in Mt Paul?

·
Registered
Custom
12,727 Posts
First, you're going to have to define what the benefit of using your company over others is...

That would be the starting focus because it'll flow from there... from there, it's mailers, meet and greets at local events (i.e. - COC, Business groups, etc.), stop-by's at their office, etc...

You're going to want a defined and pointed pitch that will grab their attention and have them keep talking to you... Most GC's are focused on Money, Quality and Schedule...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, you're going to have to define what the benefit of using your company over others is...

That would be the starting focus because it'll flow from there... from there, it's mailers, meet and greets at local events (i.e. - COC, Business groups, etc.), stop-by's at their office, etc...

You're going to want a defined and pointed pitch that will grab their attention and have them keep talking to you... Most GC's are focused on Money, Quality and Schedule...

Thank you very much for replying to my post and your advice is greatly appreciated!
I will just need to work on a great pitch, I am introducing a new product to the area and I believe people will go for it because it's unique and functional and unlike anything up this way.
I just need to be able to get myself in front of people so I can pitch.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
We have some members here are are members of local HBAs. They might chime in, but how about sponsoring one of your local HBA meetings and let them see what you have?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
FL CGC
12 Posts
The two best salespeople I've ever dealt with had one common trait - exceptional service. I called my hi-reach supplier one time and told him I needed a 100' boom lift on short notice. He called me back in 20 minutes, told me he did not have one in a yard anywhere in the state, but that he'd already called his competitor and had one loading on a truck to head my way. The other guy was a drywall supplier, and there are so many stories like that about him that I won't even bother telling one. Suffice to say that you couldn't have beat me away from doing business with him with a ball bat. I didn't even want to hear the "we can undercut his price" conversation from his competitors. I knew when I called him he would move heaven and earth.

That, of course, doesn't answer your immediate question, but if you want to be in the long game, be the guy that always makes it happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The two best salespeople I've ever dealt with had one common trait - exceptional service. I called my hi-reach supplier one time and told him I needed a 100' boom lift on short notice. He called me back in 20 minutes, told me he did not have one in a yard anywhere in the state, but that he'd already called his competitor and had one loading on a truck to head my way. The other guy was a drywall supplier, and there are so many stories like that about him that I won't even bother telling one. Suffice to say that you couldn't have beat me away from doing business with him with a ball bat. I didn't even want to hear the "we can undercut his price" conversation from his competitors. I knew when I called him he would move heaven and earth.

That, of course, doesn't answer your immediate question, but if you want to be in the long game, be the guy that always makes it happen.
Thank you very much for your reply and that is really great advice, I do plan on doing this for the long haul so I will try and be that guy. Thank you again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have some members here are are members of local HBAs. They might chime in, but how about sponsoring one of your local HBA meetings and let them see what you have?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Yes I think that could be great idea, I will definitely look into that, thank you so much for your advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts