Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are opinions out there of how often to change the spray tip?

Do you wait till it begins to "finger" or are you proactive and change it before than?

Do you count how many gallons the tip has sprayed?
Do you change it before each job?

I realize it will also vary per type of material being sprayed.

For example:

Exterior Satin - how many gallons before changing tip?

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
What are opinions out there of how often to change the spray tip?

Do you wait till it begins to "finger" or are you proactive and change it before than?

Do you count how many gallons the tip has sprayed?
Do you change it before each job?

I realize it will also vary per type of material being sprayed.

For example:

Exterior Satin - how many gallons before changing tip?
I change mime every 30 days or immediately after spraying elastomeric or water proofing paint

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
I heard of some who change it every time they are done.
If you want a PERFECT spray pattern and do not wish for the possible hassle of one crapping out in the midst, build the price of a New Tip into EVERY job and do a change out EVERY time. Fairly simple. "Cost of doing Business".

I imagine that a tip is considered a "Consumable" in the business of Paintin'.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
If you want a PERFECT spray pattern and do not wish for the possible hassle of one crapping out in the midst, build the price of a New Tip into EVERY job and do a change out EVERY time. Fairly simple. "Cost of doing Business".

I spray most of my remodels. with as little rolling as possible. Clean tip nice finish no need to back roll

·
Registered
916 Posts

Yep, I may use several in one job.
"Fingering" usually means a pressure problem. You will see a decrease in fan size, yet same amount of paint going out when a tip is wearing out. So you are using more material to cover smaller area.
Most tips are rated for 40 gallons.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
For FF trim tips i change them out at about 40 gallons, sometimes a little sooner and turn them into primer tips.
For ceiling tips i change them when they need to be changed. I can get 100 - 200 gallons of spraying flat ceiling paint.

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
When it "sounds" different.
A new tip has a louder high pitched hiss, a worn out tip is quieter and duller.

Seriously.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Did you ever hear of a self cleaning tip?

why didnt that come up around the 2-3 post??

Do I have to solve all the painting solutions round here?

·
Registered
298 Posts
A good tip can last longer than 40 gallons. We use a tip (427)for a heavy coating and it lasts 200 gallons prior to seeing the fan look. Yes you can build it into the cost of a job, but they last longer than most people think. Keep em clean and they will last longer too.

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
And yet.....5 FULL TIME painters here who have answered this thread have YET TO mention this device nor chime in and agree with you.

I think it may be time for you to start your own PAINTING PRO Board. After all, you know more than the PROS that DO NOT Plow!:laughing:

I still Love Ya Brother!

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
you two sound married.

That is a RAC X reversible tip for when a booger gets through the rock catcher and then the gun filter.
Turn it, a quick pull on the trigger, flip it back around and get back to work.

"I don't want to see a bunch of spatters around the exterior of a house, and if the spatter is too large you will owe me for the wasted paint!!!"
old guy I worked for way back in the day

1 - 20 of 25 Posts