Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is very rare for an inspector to require us to be onsite for an inspection, but I had it happen to me today. We installed a camera system (I discussed this in another thread) and the inspector went out to take a look, but would not sign off until we went to the site, took down two ceiling tiles for him and showed him the wire.

luckily this was not a bidded job, so we will just tack on two hours of labor or so to cover drive time and playing tour guide. Oh, and he glanced at the strapping etc and signed off. No big deal.

Just curious to know how you guys handle this situation. This time it was not too big a deal, but I can see future jobs where we have no one available and the thing will not get signed off... that may cause challenges with the customer.

·
Registered
12,339 Posts
Take pictures and leave them at the job site. I do this when I need to close something up and he might want to see it. It all depends on how you get along with your inspectors.

I always have someone there anyway, as it is easier to discuss any issues, and I can't usually leave the site unlocked. If it is a home, the HO is usually there if I'm not. I still take pictures of any hidden areas.

·
Old Timer
31 Posts
It happens quite often, and the cost is included in the original price. The inspection times are scheduled and we are on-site. If our progress is slowed beyond our control and we fail the inspection, the costs, if any are levied against the contractor causing the delay.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I , agree with Griz.

I try to be onsite for all inspections. Even for my subs.

If there's an issue I know what it is from the inspector.
I don't want anything lost in the translation from mouth to mouth.
Besides, It make me look good in front od the HO. Especially when he says
how good the work is .

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I don't think they always require it, but I always meet them there. The time I've spent waiting for them to show up has been more than offset by the benefits I've reaped from being there when they show up. Several times I've been able to avoid a red tag by throwing a block in somewhere or nailing up a plate over some wires or something.

An inspector on our last job showed up in a foul mood, and was going to red tag us because we didn't have a sign with work hours and phone numbers posted. He had a red tag and a pen in his hand when I walked out the front door. I started talking to him and by the time he left, he had made us a sign on the back of a nice garage sale sign he had in his truck and given us a green tag.

Other times I've strategically distracted them right before they looked at something iffy.

It's a good opportunity to kiss their ass a little and let them think they know everything, if nothing else. Comes in handy the next time you need a favor or for them to do a little extra for you.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I've never, ever called for an inspection if I can't be there. Do you really want to fail because you weren't there to fix something that took 2 minutes while he's there? Or do you want to spend 2 hours playing phone tag with the inspector, 2 hours fixing it (including travel time back and forth), 2 hours explaining to the HO why it failed, and 2 hours waiting on a re-inspection? JMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Always onsite for inspection. The combined inspectors often know very little about electrical so if I can answer a question and get a job signed off it's all good. Establishing a rapport with the inspectors builds customer confidence and builds your standing with the local building department.

Meeting inspectors is part of the job. If you can't take the time to be on your own job suffer the consequences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts