Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've never been able to get anyone to quote a exact price for drilling footings, too many variables.

from experience, most of my jobs can be dug with a machine in a half of a day. That's about $ 800. But I have to be there, as well. Inspections are usually about 2 days after I call in.

My small crew and I dug and poured 40 - 12" x 18" footings the other day. I was really wishing I had a skidsteer by the end of the day. I'm 55.

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
My small crew and I dug and poured 40 - 12" x 18" footings the other day. I was really wishing I had a skidsteer by the end of the day. I'm 55.
I would love to only dig down 18". I never had that option unless I hit ledge rock. Even if I get that lucky I have to pin it to the rock.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hi greg , I worked in BC for years and the dirt is very soft most guys drill for 750 a day. 450 for a half day . Ive used a bob cat or min ex to drill the holes I like the EX because i could dig large rocks with a bucket.I did a large deck in ridge wood 2 years ago ,it had 37 footings .It cost me 450 and we where done in a few hours. I think it hard to come out with a truck and trailer for less then 450 for a half a day. We where getting $250 per footing for the dig and concreet with steel foot and clean up. We never used tubes. If the deck was part of a larger job and we had the skid or EX there we would not charge for the footings . Im about 30 min north of you in NY and our footing are 4' deep and the ground is very hard. I have to dig with a EX to sink footings here $300 each with concreet It takes all day. My guys would dig a hole per hour with a post hole digger = 15 bucks a hole. I no the hohokus ridge wood HOs would get all pissy :eek: when i would start pealing up there sod with my track ho or skid. I could track in on ply wood put you mite be better off diging with a post hole digger . I would love to sink my bucket in some soft dirt. Emerson fence would dig some footing for me with a bobcat mt I think they charged 50 bucks a hole.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
First off, we always set our tubes before inspection. The inspector inspects with the tubes in the ground. No concrete is placed until after the inspection. No one needs to present for a footing inspection. They just leave the sticker on the window (or wherever I direct them to leave it).

Secondly, I am pretty surprised that some of you budget so little for digging holes. You must have incredibly fast hole diggers or the sandiest dirt in town.

Where I work, it can literally take a couple of hours per hole to dig by hand by a very motivated digger. There are no $10 per hour helpers in my area that I would feel comfortable with leaving on their own to dig representing my company (if you get my drift). And certainly no one that would be worth keeping around for anything other than digging holes for $10/hour.

I am sure that I am not the only guy who doesn't employ bottom of the barrel hole digger-types (except myself!) on an ongoing basis. What I mean is that the kind of guy I need to have 5 days a week is skilled. Because 99% of what we do is skilled work. I and they do not really want to be digging holes and mixing concrete. We do it because we have to, but if we didn't have to do it ourselves, I'd gladly sub it out. I'm sure others would too.

See where I am going with this? wink, wink...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Diggin' holes is just all part of the Body Built By MAC workout plan!

I've tried laborers...no success. No point in hiring someone to do it slower 'n me, worse 'n me, costs me cash and I still have to watch their progress.

Most of my projects don't have an easy access for a wheeled/tracked machine to get back to them.

If it's a hillside lot, I'm looking at more rocks than I want to deal with when using an powered auger, so all that's really left is hand digging.

Takes me about an hour to hand dig a 3'x3'x30" deep hole, drop in sonotube/bigfoot, and backfill.
But that's pretty much my day too. When I'm done w/ holes, I take my toys and go home! No 10 hour days on footing days...most I've done in a day was nine holes and that wasn't fun. Take the wife and go rent time in a hot tub to ease the aches so I can work the next day!

Like Greg, I don't need anyone to be there for the inspection - I leave the rebar and wet-mount post bases next to each hole so the inspector can count the sticks, measure the hole and sign off. Once I've got his signature, I order concrete...

On my giant decks, I did have an excavator out. New construction means no landscaping means "Get that tracked machine out there to dig some big ass holes!"
Those footing holes were 5'x5'x4' deep - no way in hell was I hand digging those!

If there was a company in town similar to the one Chris G uses, I'd be all over that! Less than $250 for 5 holes dug, including concrete? I'm at ~$400 for concrete and pump for a yard 'n a half, with holes done by me!

Mac

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If there was a company in town similar to the one Chris G uses, I'd be all over that! Less than $250 for 5 holes dug, including concrete? I'm at ~$400 for concrete and pump for a yard 'n a half, with holes done by me!

Mac
Here's a link to one of the franchises in my area. Like anything, some are better than others.

http://www.perfectpost.com/ontario/index.html

·
Low Voltage Contractor
98 Posts
Laborer: High, what happening Mr inspecoter??

Inspector: I am here to inspect your deck footers.

Laborer: Owe how did we do?

Inspector: What is the spacing??

Laborer: What is this a damn test??

Inspectoer: No I am asking for code check?

Laborer: Look man I dug them like my boss said.

Inspector: where is your boss??

Laborer: How the hell should I know. Are you done?? I was about to smoke a joint.

Inspector: You fail, have your boss call for re inspection

Laborer: Cool leave so I can smoke my joint
Seems like you're knowingly hiring the wrong laborers.

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
Laborer: High, what happening Mr inspecoter??

Inspector: I am here to inspect your deck footers.

Laborer: Owe how did we do?

Inspector: What is the spacing??

Laborer: What is this a damn test??

Inspectoer: No I am asking for code check?

Laborer: Look man I dug them like my boss said.

Inspector: where is your boss??

Laborer: How the hell should I know. Are you done?? I was about to smoke a joint.

Inspector: You fail, have your boss call for re inspection

Laborer: Cool leave so I can smoke my joint
Hate to be rude, but do you have standards for the people you hire? I wouldn't want my laborers chit chating with inspectors maybe, but if they had to it would probably be fine. I wouldn't hire anyone that talks like that or sounds that dumb.

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
Hate to be rude, but do you have standards for the people you hire? I wouldn't want my laborers chit chating with inspectors maybe, but if they had to it would probably be fine. I wouldn't hire anyone that talks like that or sounds that dumb.
This is not a real scenario.

It is called "Dramatic License". It is the implementation of a form of writing in a skit, scene or passage to exaggerate the obvious! It is often Humorous.

Fairly certain that not many here would allow that caliber of worker on their site!

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts

These are not my guys actual statements, the examples given above was for comical purposes.

Had this been an actual responses, I would have use quotation marks. I think you guys need to smoke a joint;)

Please continue with todays scheduled broadcast.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I don't have laborers all my men are skilled. That's why I have a bobcat to dig holes:whistling
Yep...that's where I'm going. As a carpenter, I do not NEED a Bobcat (or Dingo, or whatever), but man, there are sure days when I wish I had one.

Renting is just stupid at this point since I could buy a machine with a monthly payment for a little more than it would cost to rent a machine for one day. Not to mention the pickup/dropoff hassle.

The issue is that I need to make sure that the machine is utilized, not sitting in my trailer getting used two or three times a month. I am trying to see if there are alternate businesses I could enter to make it a win-win.

Obviously, if I owned one, I'd find uses for it around the job, but since we last dug holes last week, if I did own one, it would have been sitting unused to date.

We're not talking about a $300 tool here that you use once in while. These things are significant investments so the decision must be analyzed thoroughly. I'm looking for options I guess...

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Yep...that's where I'm going. As a carpenter, I do not NEED a Bobcat (or Dingo, or whatever), but man, there are sure days when I wish I had one.

Renting is just stupid at this point since I could buy a machine with a monthly payment for a little more than it would cost to rent a machine for one day. Not to mention the pickup/dropoff hassle.

The issue is that I need to make sure that the machine is utilized, not sitting in my trailer getting used two or three times a month. I am trying to see if there are alternate businesses I could enter to make it a win-win.

Obviously, if I owned one, I'd find uses for it around the job, but since we last dug holes last week, if I did own one, it would have been sitting unused to date.

We're not talking about a $300 tool here that you use once in while. These things are significant investments so the decision must be analyzed thoroughly. I'm looking for options I guess...
Greg I bought mine used.
The payments are $375 a month including warranty and lojack
About $180 in gas a month
$120 for insurance.

Roughly $600 per month. 10 holes a month its payed for. and you

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Greg I bought mine used.
The payments are $375 a month including warranty and lojack
About $180 in gas a month
$120 for insurance.

Roughly $600 per month. 10 holes a month its payed for. and you
Stupid question. You must run the machine A LOT to burn $180 in fuel a month. Are you using it daily? If so for what as a remodeler?

Is the insurance for theft or liability? I never knew you needed insurance on a machine.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Stupid question. You must run the machine A LOT to burn $180 in fuel a month. Are you using it daily? If so for what as a remodeler?

Is the insurance for theft or liability? I never knew you needed insurance on a machine.

I do additions and existing basement excavation and work for my plumber and electrician. I rent the backhoe attachment as needed

It gets worked now maybe 1-2 weeks a month if it moves one day a month its paid for. Minimum charge is 1000 bucks

I have liability and theft because it has payments on it like full coverage on a car.

I also work in the city so I drive it around like a car from jobsite to jobsite motorist love when I am in front of them they always give me the piece sign less one finger

21 - 40 of 54 Posts