Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically, to make one phone call to a specialty contractor to have all your marked out deck footings excavated, tubed and backfilled.

Obviously, I'm aware of regional costs, but I'm wondering if it's something that, if you could avail yourself of, you'd consider using rather than doing the work yourself or inhouse.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Specifically, to make one phone call to a specialty contractor to have all your marked out deck footings excavated, tubed and backfilled.

Obviously, I'm aware of regional costs, but I'm wondering if it's something that, if you could avail yourself of, you'd consider using rather than doing the work yourself or inhouse.
40-50 bucks

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Just curious; would you do it for that? Around here, Mr. Inspector has to come out and look at the holes before you put anything in 'em.

NO

I would for 100 bucks a hole if my bobcat could access the area with a 10 hole minimum. with a clause for rocks and other stuff that would cause delays and a fee for meeting the inspector

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I never dig my own holes.

I pay a $235 minimum which gets me up to five holes, (or is it six?), and it's $35 a hole after that. That includes concrete. All I have to do is supply the tubes.

They (3 man crew) show up with a bobcat and auger, a two man auger, a little beaver auger, and some clam shell diggers. What machine they use depends on access to site. Also they have gravel/sand/portland, a wheelbarrow and a concrete mixer.

It's all done in an hour or so.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
NO

I would for 100 bucks a hole if my bobcat could access the area with a 10 hole minimum. with a clause for rocks and other stuff that would cause delays and a fee for meeting the inspector
There you have it, with our inspectors
(24 hour notice) I'd have to babysit
the process for 2 days anyway.
I may as well do it myself, cause I
couldn't trust anyone who was cheap
enough to make it feasible.
Hard enough not to wreck the
whole yard and get located properly
when it's your own work.
Too cynical to believe a sub would
make me happy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
NO

:w00t:

Damn wish I lived closer I'll take $98 all day for 12" X 36" holes. A bobcat for a post hole? Are we getting that soft?

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
:w00t:

Damn wish I lived closer I'll take $98 all day for 12" X 36" holes. A bobcat for a post hole? Are we getting that soft?
Not soft but older. I am 38 not old but not young. My bobcat cost me 600 a month 10 holes a month and its paid with small profit. A few more holes and I made a nice profit on my B-cat. As you get older your math gets better:party:

You can run down the hill and f a calf. :no:

I can walk down and f-em all :notworthy

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not soft but older. I am 38 not old but not young. My bobcat cost me 600 a month 10 holes a month and its paid with small profit. A few more holes and I made a nice profit on my B-cat. As you get older your math gets better:party:

You can run down the hill and f a calf. :no:

I can walk down and f-em all :notworthy
I can feel your pain RB I'm 44 so I might have a few more hefers under my belt.

If you can get that price more power to you. :notworthy

I just can't pay that price for something I can pay a couple of laborers 8 or 10 bucks an hour to do

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
I can feel your pain RB I'm 44 so I might have a few more hefers under my belt.

If you can get that price more power to you. :notworthy

I just can't pay that price for something I can pay a couple of laborers 8 or 10 bucks an hour to do
Read it again. I lay it out, drill the whole, wait for inspection etc and you don't have to be there. Laborers can't do that? can they?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Read it again. I lay it out, drill the whole, wait for inspection etc and you don't have to be there. Laborers can't do that? can they?
Sure don't want to start a p1ssin match with you RB but I did read it again and it said just what I thought it said $100 per hole. Extra for rocks and inspector.

I'll lay it out myself to make sure it's right and teach my laborers something at the same time.

As far as the inspector goes lets be honest when it comes to holes I can get a laborer to point and say "there they are" and stand by with a post hole digger if the inspector actually pulls out a tape and says" this one is 2" short.

Don't get bent, like I said if you can get it. GET IT.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Sure don't want to start a p1ssin match with you RB but I did read it again and it said just what I thought it said $100 per hole. Extra for rocks and inspector.

I'll lay it out myself to make sure it's right and teach my laborers something at the same time.

As far as the inspector goes lets be honest when it comes to holes I can get a laborer to point and say "there they are" and stand by with a post hole digger if the inspector actually pulls out a tape and says" this one is 2" short.

Don't get bent, like I said if you can get it. GET IT.
Never bent. Some areas inspections are harder/different than others. Where i am at a Laborer could not speak to an inspector. If you can't complete a full sentence here an inspector would not speak to you:w00t:

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Never let an Employee, hole digger level, deal with an Inspector. EVER!
Laborer: High, what happening Mr inspecoter??

Inspector: I am here to inspect your deck footers.

Laborer: Owe how did we do?

Inspector: What is the spacing??

Laborer: What is this a damn test??

Inspectoer: No I am asking for code check?

Laborer: Look man I dug them like my boss said.

Inspector: where is your boss??

Laborer: How the hell should I know. Are you done?? I was about to smoke a joint.

Inspector: You fail, have your boss call for re inspection

Laborer: Cool leave so I can smoke my joint

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
There you have it, with our inspectors
(24 hour notice) I'd have to babysit
the process for 2 days anyway.
I may as well do it myself, cause I
couldn't trust anyone who was cheap
enough to make it feasible.
Hard enough not to wreck the
whole yard and get located properly
when it's your own work.
Too cynical to believe a sub would
make me happy.
Yup I am the same way. I would be so affraid that they would tear up the yard or do damage to somehting. I always have to add in some extra time to my deck jobs for this reason. Our building department is so messed up here. What I usually do is call before I even dig the holes and say they are dug. Then once they give me a date of when they can make it I plan to have them dug by then or dig them then just take my time, attach the ledger, etc.
Heck there are some towns I work in that sub their building inspections out and the guy only inspects ONE day a week! So as you can amagine that causes some scheduling crap!

Dave

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
When doing an estimate I usually figure $75 a hole, but would include the layout, set of tube and concrete. Usually eat the inspection time myself How much would I pay to have it dug, tube set and concrete??? Probably $40-$45

1 - 20 of 54 Posts