Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help

i was recently asked to take over a HVAC job that someone else started and they walked off , i started it without establishing a price first this was a previous customer and he is also a metal fabricator contractor . the pevious guy who started the job did not do much except mess things up . The space to be cooled is two large offices with high ceiling that have large windows that recieve alot of sunlight almost like a green house so the unit was already there a 3 ton unit and a 90 % gas funace that is in a small 4 ft tall mechanical room that is about 15 feet in the air accessible by ladder, the previous contrator cut the holes for three of the 4 registers and one of the return ducts he also like banged it into a wall or droped the A coil and put a hole in the line
here is a list ofwhat i did

Install: customer supplied high efficiency gas furnace, 3-ton A/C condenser and A-coil
-Secure customer supplied condenser on elevated shelf on side of building
-Supplied and installed 3/4 inch copper A/C line, 38 feet from A-coil to condenser
-Supplied and installed 1/4 inch copper A/C line 38 feet from A-coil to condenser
-Supplied and installed 30 feet of 3/4 inch PVC condensation line.
-Once the refigerant lines were brazed, vacuum test was preformed on the system.system was vacuumed for 20 minutes until it reached negative 30 psi. After letting it sit for 30 minutes the pressure had gone to 0 psi. All outer connections and lines were checked and no leaks were detected. upon removing the outer jacket of the A-coil a leak on Freon gas side line next to TRX valve was detected. The hole was brazed shut and the system was pressure tested and it held negative 30 psi.
-Replaced liquid side brass union 90 degree fitting and missing piston nozzle.
-Fabricated 20"x20"x36"sheet metal plenum with (4) 6" outlets to supply feed ducts.
-Finished (3) 6 inch feed ducts and (1) 6 inch return duct started by previous contractor added missing sheet metal screws , sealed all seams with class 1 duct tape and added necessary hangers .
-Installed (2) 6 inch return ducts and (1) 6 inchfeed duct and registers (total duct work installed approximately 200 feet.)
-Ran 110 v electrical line in armored sheild cable from unit to hallway ceiling to Install (4) 6 inch inline 250 CFM duct booster fans in the feed duct to try to compensate for the distance between the unit and the vents .
-Suppllied and installed 42 feet of schedule 40 1 ½ inch PVC and necessary fittings to vent high effeiciency flue gas exhaust through three course brick wall to outside of building.
-Installed 3/4 inch black iron tee with 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch black iron bushing to supply gas to furnace.
-Supply and install new electronic heating and cooling thermostat and thermostat wiring inside office wall.
-Supply and install approx. 75 feet of 1/2 inch black iron pipe, 1/2 inch ball valve, and dirt leg with necessary couplings, unions, elbows, tees, and caps for gas supply line to furnace.
-Remove 2" x 3/4" x 1" black iron tee and approx. 4 feet of exisisting 3/4 inch black iron gas pipe feed to previously uninstalled appliance. Install 2" black iron cap to open gas main where tee was previously located

i also had no paperwork so i had to call tech support and give them the serial and model numbers to find out that he mis matched and paired a micro style condenser with tube style coilso i had to add a feew lbs of freon

so when i gave the price the customer was not happy i am asking the community what do they think is a fair price for the labor not material besides freon but i did go to suppliers and shop for and buy any materials i listed as supplied .........................................................

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Thank you for posting on ContractorTalk.com. Straight pricing questions are frowned upon here, as are 'Going Rate' questions. If you are a contractor seeking advice regarding your pricing structure, the Moderators of this forum would like to direct you to this thread: "Pricing, Estimating and Success".

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
How much did you charge them ?

Let us know so we can help you calculate the cost.

In reviewing you post and scope of work.

your job looks pretty close to a job I just finished.

I'm contacting my billing manager to see if I can get the exact invoice amount.

please let us know the exact cost you billed for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i charged $5800 and he paid for materials and i felt like i was doing him a favor everyone i spoke with said they would of charged north of 10,000 i just have worked for this guy before and he has given me referals he is a metal fabricator and his customer base is in center city philadelphia so his referalls are usually quality

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is that the currency in Bloomington IN how would u split the child at the waist or down the midle or would u just pass it back and forth every other week ? all u need now is a clown suit , your life must be sad if you find time to write something that stupid

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,036 Posts
I would bill 1/2 of client's first born child plus a non refundable deposit of 1 soul
Simply cannot believe no one has said it yet....

3 hunnit fitty dollahs
If you wingnuts ever wanted to have pricing questions reconsidered here at CT, well, you're proving why they rarely work.

Asinine, worthless posts should be saved for MBR.

OP, unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about HVAC, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help.

Delta

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
i charged $5800

Found my invoice for the project we just completed. our scope of work was a little more that what you listed. While we we're there onsite.
we also completed the following.
1) replaced all the screw in 200 amp fuses
2) replace the sand in the exterior ash trays
3) tried to determine if the light stays on in the office refrigerator when the door is closed. it does so we install a dimmer switch.

we also change three rolls of toilet paper, they were rolling under not over.

oh, and please edit your profile.

you have a typo. you listed yourself as a "plumber, HVAC, carpenter, and electrician
you forgot the words "wantabe"

or change it to "handyman-wantabe"

oh by the way, they frown on talking about pricing, in case you missed the news...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i ask a pricing question on a page of contractors in hopes that they were professionals so i could show a customer that the price i gave him was fair and that makes me a wanna be ? people who post stupid nonsense like these guys should be kicked off this site thats who needs a backround check ,,,,,people asking to be paid with children as currency might be a pedophile

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they frown on talking about pricing but the trade of children and losers with nothing better to do but type non sense is all good

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
i ask a pricing question on a page of contractors in hopes that they were professionals so i could show a customer that the price i gave him was fair and that makes me a wanna be ? people who post stupid nonsense like these guys should be kicked off this site thats who needs a backround check ,,,,,people asking to be paid with children as currency might be a pedophile
The people here that you continue to insult, are indeed some of the greatest contractors that you could ever hope for. The stupid folks are the ones who would start their initial post on a website full of seasoned contractors with the title "How much would you charge"

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Furthermore:

Professionals know what to charge. Occasionally, a member here may ask another member privately to help with an estimate, but we all are smart enough to know that pricing is subjective. What you charge has no bearing whatsoever on what I charge and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
What kind of voodoo is going on behind the scenes that this got shut down and reopened four times?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.