Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changing 106 windows, labor only. The new windows are aluminum, smaller frame. How would you go around the stucco not messing it up so that touch ups won't be necessary?. pictures included. We did a lot of stucco work for the owner on his other hotels and honestly i don't know much about changing windows but have guys that can do it. All of the materials will be provided just need to know what else will be important to know. We might gonna need to rent a boom lift since it's a 3 floors building or just use the scaffolds
Thanks for your help
Samuel

Attachments

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
There are several ways of finishing off the windows. How much smaller are you talking? :whistling

Details, Details, you can't come on here asking for help and leave out important details.

Yes I'd say for something like this you will need a lift if you want to be efficient.

How many men will be working on this job? Do you have to complete one window at a time (inside/outside) and then move on to the next or can you install all windows , complete exterior finish and then do interiors?

How long are breaks/ lunches?

What are the currant weather conditions like where you are?

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
changing 106 windows, labor only. The new windows are aluminum, smaller frame. How would you go around the stucco not messing it up so that touch ups won't be necessary?. pictures included. We did a lot of stucco work for the owner on his other hotels and honestly i don't know much about changing windows but have guys that can do it. All of the materials will be provided just need to know what else will be important to know. We might gonna need to rent a boom lift since it's a 3 floors building or just use the scaffolds
Thanks for your help
Samuel
If you need to ask how much to charge and have to ask how to do it without messing up the stucco, you obviously have no business bidding on the job, stick to what you know, which is Stucco.

Are you properly licensed for this type of work?

If you are, it must not be hard to get licensed in your area.

But all of that being said, I think $20 per window would be a fair price for you to charge.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
125 for the first ten, 132.94 for the next ten, 97.33 for the next ten, and so on.

·
Glazier
63 Posts
Thanks for your help
Samuel

First things first, how much smaller? The windows you have in the pictures are storefront style windows with it appears to be sidelight vents, are you replacing with same style window? What your putting in makes a huge difference on what you charge. If the windows aren't much smaller (i.e. - no more than 3" all sides) you can use break metal to cover the wood you use to close in the openings. Then run a bead of silicone in the appropriate areas. More info would help for pricing. Location would be good too as you may be able to charge more than where I am located or possibly less...

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
First things first, how much smaller? The windows you have in the pictures are storefront style windows with it appears to be sidelight vents, are you replacing with same style window? What your putting in makes a huge difference on what you charge. If the windows aren't much smaller (i.e. - no more than 3" all sides) you can use break metal to cover the wood you use to close in the openings. Then run a bead of silicone in the appropriate areas. More info would help for pricing. Location would be good too as you may be able to charge more than where I am located or possibly less...
The windows are not store front, they are aluminum frame fin windows, end vent sliders.

They are installed at dry-in and then the stucco is run to it after the windows are installed, removing the windows is going to involve either cutting the fin off of the window or cutting the stucco.

If they are being replaced with fin windows, the stucco will have to be cut out, with enough room to allow for flashing and the windows installed and then either trim the windows with wood or PVC trim, or re stucco around the windows.

·
Glazier
63 Posts
The windows are not store front, they are aluminum frame fin windows, end vent sliders.

They are installed at dry-in and then the stucco is run to it after the windows are installed, removing the windows is going to involve either cutting the fin off of the window or cutting the stucco.

If they are being replaced with fin windows, the stucco will have to be cut out, with enough room to allow for flashing and the windows installed and then either trim the windows with wood or PVC trim, or re stucco around the windows.
Good eye bwalley! After a zoomed look with glasses they are a finned window. Cutting the fin will also create a mess though. For proper install and to avoid leaks down the road do as suggested and cut stucco back...etc... as stated by bwally. You are going to have stucco work any way you look at it in my opinion. Good luck!

·
Banned
658 Posts
we have a very similar job with the same slider type windows(alluminum). however,instead of stucco,the building is brick. we are going to replace all the alluminum/metal windows with vinyl. being that the outside is brick,not to worried about messing anything up. we have a total of 74 windows to do.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I can only imagine that this is what the other bidders are like when we go to bid these kinda jobs. Scary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for your help

I went on the job side to check out that windows. They have 1.5 inch lunches that are under stucco layer. The labor will include cutting of the stucco layer all around (it's efis stucco) taking out the window, installing the new one (he just informed me, that they will be in the same size as old ones what makes is easier) and doing touch ups outside the building over stucco (adding efis, primer mash, and final coat) just scaffolds will be used for outside (no boom lift) Two people will be assigned to do the job with prior experience. I just don't quite know, what to charge for the labor. We will get $90.000,- contract from the same guy right after changing windows. My idea was to charge $125 for first 10 windows, and $100 for remaing ones. Let me know your idaes. Thank you!
Samuel

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
I went on the job side to check out that windows. They have 1.5 inch lunches that are under stucco layer. The labor will include cutting of the stucco layer all around (it's efis stucco) taking out the window, installing the new one (he just informed me, that they will be in the same size as old ones what makes is easier) and doing touch ups outside the building over stucco (adding efis, primer mash, and final coat) just scaffolds will be used for outside (no boom lift) Two people will be assigned to do the job with prior experience. I just don't quite know, what to charge for the labor. We will get $90.000,- contract from the same guy right after changing windows. My idea was to charge $125 for first 10 windows, and $100 for remaing ones. Let me know your idaes. Thank you!
Samuel

Never EVER base a Quote on "Promised" Future work. EVER.

Especially if the "Promise Maker" is Indian or Pakistani. It is a Typical Bargaining Ploy!

·
Glazier
63 Posts
Samuel

Is that what your charging for install or demo and install? Your better off with a lift. Stage the windows under the openings. Two guys in lift one lacky staging with a dolly. You should be able to get the windows in (after demo of course) in one and a half to two days. We use an air nailer when installing ours. Sometimes we give them a quote to put ice & water on the sides and top for some added protection. Always silicone the back of the fin too. Using a scaffle I believe you will be cutting your throat in labor. 3 Stories is quite a ways to lift that big a window up some scaffle.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
We do all of work from the inside so we don't need scaffolding or ladders or lifts. Saves a lot of money and time.
This probably could be done mostly if not entirely from the interior, assuming they are operational windows. Hotels often have fixed windows so I guess people can't jump out. Although it could be done from the interior, I'd prefer the demo from the exterior, although that too could be done from the interior.

The way I'd approach this would be to take a saw with a metal blade, run it along the edge of where the aluminum frame meets the stucco, this will cut the fin that is holding the window to the wall behind the stucco. I would then buck frame the openings, install the new windows as regular. Trim the interior and aluminum clad and caulk the exterior.

Stucco repairs? NO guarantee existing material may not become damaged during the removal of the window, stucco to be repaired on a per sqft. basis. More than likley there will be some stucco repairs, at least some touch up paint in spots.

You could chalk a line and cut back the stucco, we do this with siding all the time. Just my prefrence as non-stucco contractor would be to not disturb the stucco on purpose.

Doing what I said I'd assume 3 guys could do 6 windows a day complete, longer if interior painting is required. Could we do more? yeah more than likley 8-10, but I always have to err on the side of caution when putting together a bid. You never know for sure what you're working with 'till you start working. So using my 6 windows per day for 3 men, and applying MY hourly rate for window/siding work, I'd need to get in the ball park of $220 per window plus all materials, rental equipment (lift) and disposal.

Future work? "Give me BOTH contracts now and we can work out some kind of bulk discount. Otherwise let's not worry abou that job until you are ready for that job. let's focus on this one." I used to fall for that BS my first year in remodeling sales. LOL I was born on a day, but it wasn't yesterday.

If you have guys who have done this before, they should be able to give you a reasonable estimation of how long it'll take to get done. Do you know your hourly rate? I mean only YOU can know your hourly rate. So let's say you are paying your installers like employees. And let's say you are paying them $20 an hour (nice round number). The way I count it, 27% for WC, 30% for GL, 10% for FICA, 8% for SUDA, 2% for FUDA = That's 77% ontop of the hourly wage you pay your employee just to break even. That's nearly $36 an hour just to break even on the labor. Now add on your overhead, this is typically something like 20% in many companies, but some have much much less and some much much more. Now you are just over $43 an hour. What about profit? Sales rep's commission? Let's say 10% for each, adding another 20%. I can't see how anyone can bill out less than $52 an hour and make money. Add on 5% for negotiation and margin of error, you're just under $55 an hour.

NEVER EVER base what YOU charge on the goign rate, or on what others charge. You gotta sit down and figure out YOUR hourly rate.

·
Glazier
63 Posts
Labor, labor, labor... You guys really lump windows three floors? Seems to me you would be there a long time doing it that way... Just my opinion but if it were my job (I'm assuming it is a functional hotel) and I wanted to make money I would cut down to 3 guys. Stage all windows in respective places first, 2 guys in straight or articulating lift, 1 on ground, demo 1st - 2nd - 3rd floor, prep 3 openings, install 1st - 2nd - 3rd floor, move to next stage and repeat. Grumpy seems to have a much better figure on price, nice add by the way Grumpy with the %'s, and all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts