Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A change order for a customer in progress, shows me 12 holes in 4 ceilings from electricans work done on house a year ago, holes range from a few around 12"x12" , a few around 12"x36" a few around 12"x48" and 2 that are 12"x72".

We would need to repair, spray knock down texture and leave paint ready for their painter.

I quoted him $1500, about $125 a hole which I thought was reasonable for the amount of time and prep work involved to do them right so they don't look like the ceiling is patched when it's all done.

It's an add on to a job we are already at, so I really don't care one way or the other if we do it or not, but thought it was intersting that the customer who is spending a lot on this other project and hasn't batted an eye at those costs thought that this was more then he was expecting.

Am I just out in left field at $1500?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A little light in my neck of the woods Mike.
I would have probably quoted closer to 2.
But since you are already on the job, sounds good.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Are the rooms filled with furniture and art, carpet....?

Sounds a little steep to me if the place is empty.

I can't see a drywaller spending more that 12 hrs with a couple hundred bucks in materials.

But I'm wrong alot, this may be another one of those times.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you have to protect flooring, furniture etc. I would say that is fair. If the house is empty and being repainted, (don't have to mask off walls), it may be a little high but not much.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
If you figure in your overhead, moving furniture, covering floors, and everything that is obvious if you were a legitimate company you should be able to figure out your price. that's your price to run a buisness!

Don't come here and expect the professionals who have put in the time to give you prices you're too lazy to figure out yourself!

You Hack [email protected]#ck!

This site is for professionals!

Will a mod please close this thread!:censored:

Reactions: J F

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you figure in your overhead, moving furniture, covering floors, and everything that is obvious if you were a legitimate company you should be able to figure out your price. that's your price to run a buisness!

Don't come here and expect the professionals who have put in the time to give you prices you're too lazy to figure out yourself!

You Hack [email protected]#ck!

This site is for professionals!

Will a mod please close this thread!:censored:
Wow, I take it you are not a fan of Finley's. :laughing:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yikes, WNY please let me know early if ever touch a nerve with you. That sort of treatment is generally reserved for homeowner/part-time contractor hybrids.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Yikes, WNY please let me know early if ever touch a nerve with you. That sort of treatment is generally reserved for homeowner/part-time contractor hybrids.

Satire..........c'mon.....nothing personal, I couldn't resist! He opened himself for it, and he knows it!

That was my point!

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Pricing seems reasonable...if not a little low if you have to deal with furnished rooms - taping off, tarping, etc, etc., as well as texturing.

I think it's just one of those pricing things that you know is fair, but the customer thinks is from left field. If you are not concerned about being awarded the job one way or another, just let it be.

But, no, I do not think you are out in left field.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I had a guy call me because I was a "legit contractor in the area". He had a vacation house on the Kenai river...it had three flights of stairs to the first floor. He hanged all the sheetrock and wanted me to tape, float and finish with texture and prime paint. They already had all the plumbing fixtures installed like toilets, switches, lights.Pantry needed rock but had shelves already and waterheater and pressure tank installedin front of the walls with no rock. Already had funiture in the place. Short story I priced the job at 5700 bucks and he told me I was nuts that he had some one do that much tape and float for 1500 bucks.The rock job was crap and screws sticking out all over the place. Basically he wanted me to work for 10 bucks an hour. All this while he was unloading his 4 wheelers from his 175 thousand dollar RVs (2) with the garage in the back to go 4 wheeling on the beaches with his buddies.

I'm seeing more and more of these people hoping to capitalize on the crappy economy.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I guess I could S.O.T. and throw my two cents in here...

You know how it is Mike, this customer thought you would throw him a freebie since you were on the job already. They all do. Your price is reasonable, you know it and he knows it. He's just going to wait until you are done with all the other drywall work on the job to sign the CO. Then you get to have fun explaining why it just went up to $2,000.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Well, you never know who's pissed off at who each week. So much drama around here, I thought maybe Finley slept with your dog.
Just my lame attemp at humor...

·
General Contractor
8,080 Posts
12 holes is a few hours to patch and finish coat. If you can get $1500 is a nice score :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts