Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I've been in construction for some time now and can do most things by myself. Of course it would take some time, but how much money do you thing it would take me to build my own house? I'm talking about a simple 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage house. I would do everything myself. Everything except the rough in plumbing and rough electrical. Any response would be appreciated, thanks J.

·
4,617 Posts
So I guess one of the "most things" you can't do is estimating.

Its simple... how much are you making now? It will take about 2500 man hours to build that house by hand (rough guesstimate) and it will of course, require you to buy the materials.

For the labor part of it, how much do you make in about 16 months? That's about how much its gonna cost you in labor if you do all the work.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
I get the feeling I should ask my mechanic how much it costs to build a car.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Material costs are dependent on so many variables..

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can also go to www.houseplans.com and find a plan similar to the one you're considering. Then you can use the cost estimator tutorial program to find a price.

Reactions: jtpro

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hello everybody, I've been in construction for some time now and can do most things by myself. Of course it would take some time, but how much money do you thing it would take me to build my own house? I'm talking about a simple 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage house. I would do everything myself. Everything except the rough in plumbing and rough electrical. Any response would be appreciated, thanks J.

this has to be a joke:rolleyes:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
give me a break, it's past midnight over here.
If this was posted at 12:12 EDT
(it was) how in hell was it past
midnight in the "Los Angeles area"??????

1 - 20 of 72 Posts