Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get into this discussion every once in a while. How much time do you save snap cutting tile vs. wet cutting? What percent ?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
On a small job in a condo where we can't use a saw, lots, maybe 50%. We snap cut and lay everything we can, then make templates to cut the few difficult remaining pieces back at the shop overnight. We can try to make that a single cutting session with the saw. If we wet saw everything we'll have multiple trips to the shop.

On a large job, lots - let's say 20%. The setter can mark pieces and either snap them or hand them to a helper who can snap them right away.

On a small job (a powder room) with easy use of the saw, not much at all. You have a bunch of small complicated cuts that might have required the saw anyway, so it's set up, and you only have a few straight cuts that you can snap.

I snap cut as much as possible, partly because it's easier on my ears.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
How are they on stone....limestone, marble, slate...etc?

Most of my work is natural stone and I wonder if snappers perform well.

50-60% on a shower?...I can't imagine how.

Set up and break down?

You still have to "cut" each tile. I still haven't bought one, but I have about 2,000 sq. of porcelain floor tile to do, so I may break down and get one. That is where I could see it being nice. I still can't imagine an exposed cut with a snapper.....:eek:.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
How are they on stone....limestone, marble, slate...etc?

Most of my work is natural stone and I wonder if snappers perform well.

50-60% on a shower?...I can't imagine how.

Set up and break down?

You still have to "cut" each tile. I still haven't bought one, but I have about 2,000 sq. of porcelain floor tile to do, so I may break down and get one. That is where I could see it being nice. I still can't imagine an exposed cut with a snapper.....:eek:.
No go on stone as far I have seen. I used a wet saw for all my cuts when I tiled. My last tile sub used snapper. Tile edges were snapped then honed with stone and they were straight and clean.

Saved him alot of time on 2nd floor baths. He would use wet saw for sliced pebbled shower floor and natural stone tiles and accent bands. We only use Rondec and he cut that on wet saw as well.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used snap cutter on trav and marble. Repeated passes with cutter then instead of snapping with cutter arm, I hold the piece down slightly tipping it then strike the otherside with my forearm. Those aren't for exposed cuts. Against the wall cuts only. Btw, you'll break a few more tile that way.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Snap cutter will pay for itself on 2000 sqft easily. You'd be crazy not to get one.
Yeah. It's worth it to me just to not have to walk back and forth to a wet saw and the cleanup afterward... Even if time was equal. How someone can set ceramic on a regular basis and not own one is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. It's worth it to me just to not have to walk back and forth to a wet saw and the cleanup afterward... Even if time was equal. How someone can set ceramic on a regular basis and not own one is beyond me.
Which cutter do you have Paul? I have a ISHI big clunker. 20 + years old. Maybe time for a new one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
in my opinion . if you are doing a wall where all the cuts wold be the same i would say a wet saw would work better (and a straight layout). you make the cuts one time .
If there is designs you and the walls need adjustments you might use a tile cutter(snaper)
A SIGMA would be a great tool to have .

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've used snap cutter on trav and marble. Repeated passes with cutter then instead of snapping with cutter arm, I hold the piece down slightly tipping it then strike the otherside with my forearm. Those aren't for exposed cuts. Against the wall cuts only. Btw, you'll break a few more tile that way.
true and tried

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Which cutter do you have Paul? I have a ISHI big clunker. 20 + years old. Maybe time for a new one.
Ishi Big Clinker, Sigma 2C3, QEP Brutus, Superior 6". Sigma and the Ishi are the only ones that really get used though. I've set many a floor with nothing but my Sigma and Makita 4" grinder....

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
in my opinion . if you are doing a wall where all the cuts wold be the same i would say a wet saw would work better (and a straight layout). you make the cuts one time .
If there is designs you and the walls need adjustments you might use a tile cutter(snaper)
A SIGMA would be a great tool to have .
Showers are different animals. I haven't seen a modern shower that you don't need the saw for at some point. If you have to set it up at all, you might as well do it from the beginning and be done with it. Floors though are where snap cutters save a tremendous amount of time.

Reactions: BlueRidgeGreen

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lately I be been doing only Showers. Not many floors. Also the floors I've done have been stone work. So my tomecanic that cuts about 24 " tile has been sitting for a while. I use my 13 inch sigma. But the porcelain is such a hard material that I still need the wetsaw

1 - 20 of 30 Posts