Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
That guy
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Sorry for not posting this in the DIY forum, as I'm not a plumber, but I want an answer from a professional and we will absolutely be hiring a professional to do the work (I know enough about plumbing to clean out a p-trap), I'm just helping my mother plan a remodel.

Basically she currently has a galley kitchen that is cramped and drives her nuts, especially when she has all the kids and our families over. Instead of expanding into the back yard at GREAT expense, she wants to move the kitchen over to what is now the family room. This is a split level home, with the family room as a previous addition (before she bought the house) behind the garage, next to the kitchen. So whereas the current kitchen is above a basement utility room with exposed joists and plumbing, the new location is basically on a slab.

What I'm hoping is that it would be possible to run the sink/dishwasher drains on a gentle slope behind the new cabinets until they reach the edge of the original foundation, at which point they can drop down and tie into the same point where the original kitchen drains are. Trying to avoid going through the slab.

So how much slope is needed for kitchen drains? I'm accustomed to running gutter where it really only needs to have a slight pitch to make sure it actually, eventually drains. Where I think she should put the sink to simplify the plumbing issue is only about 8 feet over, so it would be a pretty good slope. But where she wants it is closer to 20 feet, which would make it pretty shallow, but still pitched, maybe 10 degrees.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Just for referance, or for practical purposes.......
1/4"/ft = 2% = 1.8 deg

20 x 12 /.25 = 5"
20 x 12 x .02 = 4.8"
1.8 x 20 x12 /90 = 4.8"

1/4"/ft = 2% = 2deg...close enough!
Joe

·
That guy
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! I really didn't think that shallow would be okay in household plumbing. I'll leave it to the plumber to figure out how well her plan will work. I just didn't want to waste his time by calling him out to bid on a project that will require going through the slab which would take up too much of her budget. Wanted to have an alternate plan in mind if keeping the line above the slab was going to be iffy, but it sounds like it is well within reason. Thanks!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Check your state code, there is usually a minimum pitch per pipe size, Chicago would require ¼" per foot on anything 4" and under, so in a 20' run you would need 5" of fall.
I better call killer and let him know someone hacked his account. :laughing:

·
That guy
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know as well as I do that there is a lot of misinformation in the DIY forum. And I'm not going to be doing the project myself (nor is my mother), so that's actually rather irrelevant, isn't it?

I am SO sorry that the existence of this question was so very troubling to you. But I'm willing to bet you're going to be okay.

Thank you again to those who are able to respond to a straightforward question without getting your panties in a bunch.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,893 Posts
You know as well as I do that there is a lot of misinformation in the DIY forum. And I'm not going to be doing the project myself (nor is my mother), so that's actually rather irrelevant, isn't it?

I am SO sorry that the existence of this question was so very troubling to you. But I'm willing to bet you're going to be okay.

Thank you again to those who are able to respond to a straightforward question without getting your panties in a bunch.
:blink:

·
PlumbingZone Reject
62 Posts

Mostly I'm sorry you think we should give away the knowledge we spent years absorbing and perfecting. I don't owe you a thing.

This forum isn't suppose to be a masturbatory two handed reach-around. Folks that want to get stroked should be shoved off to the DIY forum and permanently banned from this forum.

Yeah. I typed that at loud.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
This forum isn't suppose to be a masturbatory two handed reach-around.
Wow, they gave you the keys already? Took me a few years to get 'em. :whistling

You are correct insofar as we don't cater to homeowner DIYers. However, it does no harm to help out another professional contractor as a courtesy. You could need a similar favor at some point.

·
That guy
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
However, it does no harm to help out another professional contractor as a courtesy. You could need a similar favor at some point.
Thank you, my thoughts exactly. It's usually called "professional courtesy". Sadly some people are capable of neither.

I had to laugh when I saw the signature at the end of the email notifying me of the reply:
Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum
www.ContractorTalk.com
Where The Trades Meet!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Mostly I'm sorry you think we should give away the knowledge we spent years absorbing and perfecting. I don't owe you a thing.

This forum isn't suppose to be a masturbatory two handed reach-around. Folks that want to get stroked should be shoved off to the DIY forum and permanently banned from this forum.

I'm sure he would be willing to help you out next time you needed advice finishing drywall.

Look I'm a grade a ******* as well, but I ask many questions outside my profession and people are happy to help me because I reciprocate when they ask me about my field of expertise.

So if ya wanna help, be a pal and chime in...if you don't go hang yourself while you jerk off.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Hey Widds, just be glad they don't have a plumber modding the plumbing section here, we've seen first hand what happens when you do that.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
Inner10 said:
I'm sure he would be willing to help you out next time you needed advice finishing drywall. Look I'm a grade a ******* as well, but I ask many questions outside my profession and people are happy to help me because I reciprocate when they ask me about my field of expertise. So if ya wanna help, be a pal and chime in...if you don't go hang yourself while you jerk off.
now that was some funny chit!!!!

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts

If it took you years to absorb and prefect the pitch of a kitchen drain you may want to consider a new profession and being a douchebag isn't one, I know I've tried.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
He didn't give away anymore than I would have.

Questions like the OP's should be redirected to the DIY forum.

Apparently, you've been living in the $#!t pipe too long.

This place is called "Contractortalk".

Contractors from all trades discuss any trade they damn well please here, and very few get butt hurt, except a few plumbers and electricians, and the ones that do are most likely not the experts at there trade, they just want everyone to think they are by ragging on other people. Very similar to kindergarten.

If it took you your whole damn life to figure out the s#!t flows best at 1/4" per foot, and every major model code specifies a minimum of 1/4" per foot, you probably should choose a different trade.

I can see now why they banned your ass at PZ. I promise you, when I become a Mod, I'll ban your ass first thing, too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'm sure he would be willing to help you out next time you needed advice finishing drywall.

Look I'm a grade a ******* as well, but I ask many questions outside my profession and people are happy to help me because I reciprocate when they ask me about my field of expertise.

So if ya wanna help, be a pal and chime in...if you don't go hang yourself while you jerk off.
Great time to be an AHole Inner:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Best

1 - 20 of 25 Posts