Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hernia on the right side up above. How much should I expect to fix it? I've already got a quote for $500, but I have to use foreign labor. Is this an inpatient or outpatient procedure?

·
Registered
685 Posts
well, if you go the foreign route make sure you are treated for a hernia rather than a himnia:eek:. Some times there are problems in translation.

The cost will also differs depending on if you go north or south. The barter system may work well too. Tell them you will throw in a kidney and you may get the hernia/himnia for free:clap:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How will I know if my kidney is stolen? I'd better hope for the procedure with local anaestesia. Or I could tie my cell phone to it. I'd better think on this a bit.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I had one on the right side down below :eek: back in '88.

Out the door price was 9800.00, not including W.C. My boss was thrilled :laughing:

In today's economy factoring in inflation and the influence migrant labor has had on the medical field, I would have to agree with English Roofer and say Tree-fiddy.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured $1500 for the room and $3500 for the surgery. But I don't know if I can get outpatient. I'll probably go with the $500. Mine is up high, not down low. I'm told these are very common.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Treefiddy!!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Go to Hobby Lobby and spend $10 on an Xacto Knife set. Download some info from Web MD and do it yourself. It's not that hard and should only take a few hours.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Go to Hobby Lobby and spend $10 on an Xacto Knife set. Download some info from Web MD and do it yourself. It's not that hard and should only take a few hours.
I agree,
Go to DoctorTalk.com and ask some basic questions about your procedure and then find a loved one to be your assistant, then it it time to start hacking. :laughing:

·
Registered
440 Posts
What's the name of that movie where Robert DeNiro operates on himself?

"Can you close this up? I'm going to pass out now."

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heck, I've already got a couple of xacto knife sets. I'm thinking I can just shove everything back where it belongs and put on some of that fiberglass tape and a few stiches to hold it in place. I'll get some super glue as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you need an assistant check CL. Maybe you can find a $20/hour handyman. Careful though, Mike Finley says those guys use drywall screws for everything.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
I had one of those up above hernias. $6000 + $900 for the drugs before hand. They worked so well, I didn't even get to enjoy them.

And it was outpatient. "Wake up and GTFO! We ain't running a resort here."

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Tell the Doc that you know he's slow because of the economy and you know he can cut you a better deal if he would just go over his numbers again. Promise him more work in the future.

Or just postpone the procedure until Obama gets his health plan through, then it will be free for everyone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Chainsaw. Must have been arthroscopic, eh? Were you just on one side? Any problems since?

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Thanks, Chainsaw. Must have been arthroscopic, eh?
Small incision. I was knocked out.

Were you just on one side?
yes. One side only.

Any problems since?
I can't play the piano anymore.:laughing:

No problems. But I was in peak condition when I had the surgery. Training for a triathlon and ultra-endurance biking. One week after surgery, I was hiking rugged trails/climbs. Doc flipped out on me when I told him, so whatever you do, don't tell your doctor you didn't wait the recommended 4-6 weeks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts