Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3.50? :laughing:

How much pipe can you get in the ground in a day?

8" sewer line, thru a parking lot, around utilities, bed in stone, and left with a plowable finish. Digging is fairly easy, good gravel with some sand pockets.

We only got 240' in today with a crew of 5, 1 in the hoe, 2 in the hole and one in the CTL, truck hauling out asphalt pieces and 3/4" minus back in. We were using a 312 to dig, Cat skiddy to move material and back fill, and a large reversible plate for compaction.

We had to wait for an hour for a crane to set some panels, so that got combined with lunch. Still I am looking to try to get that number up going into next year.
Any ideas?

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
How deep ???

I'd say that is pretty good distance for what you are doing.

We get that digging 6ft deep in hardpan with a 200 with a 3 man crew.

Each job is different. Some jobs you can figure 250' day and others your are only getting 2 pipes a day.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4-7 ft deep depending on the grade above, putting foam in when it isnt 5 ft deep. Thats the one figure I had forgotten. The digging is fairly easy so I was hoping for better production rate, but it is winter.

·
Stud
605 Posts
What are you using for shooting grade. Personally, I find a pipe laser to be the best thing to keep production moving quickly while keeping alignment & grade.

Considering you had to wait an hour for the crane I would say you had a good day. Two ways to improve production would be:

1. Bigger excavator. If you don't have one it's not worth buying one right now.
2. Whip :thumbup:

Considering I'm on the computer @ 8AM I envy the fact you have some work to do. Oh well, at least I have an appt. to price a sewer repair today.

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
Can the Giants beat the Cowboys?
There was a time when I would have said no, but recent history tells me different.
The giants always seemed to be able to F up right when you'd think there was no way they could lose, but now it appears the Cowboys have a simalar issue. Go with the Giants.

As for the pipe install: 240 ft per day seems pretty good to me at that depth with utilities. In fact I'd say thats very good:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts