Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Prescriptive code says 3/4" - 1-1/4" inch nosing; nosing shall not deviate from one another by more then 3/8"

So with that said I think 3/4" nosing is good it allows you to get your first screw closer to the front of the first tread board and still look good. Too much nosing puts your screws too far from the edge.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, that's the sucky part about working by yourself, no one to bounce stuff off of and talking to my wife just makes my blood boil!!!

Yea it's a big step because I didn't want them steep,, and I was afraid to have the nail blow thru the face of the riser !!

Thanks guys I promise not to bother you with any more stupid questions, I'll leave that too my wife,,

My grandson just got off the bus so I can ask him lol

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
FRAME2FINISH said:
Thanks guys, that's the sucky part about working by yourself, no one to bounce stuff off of and talking to my wife just makes my blood boil!!!

Yea it's a big step because I didn't want them steep,, and I was afraid to have the nail blow thru the face of the riser !!

Thanks guys I promise not to bother you with any more stupid questions, I'll leave that too my wife,,

My grandson just got off the bus so I can ask him lol
I have a lot of customers that request wide treads, however the most important thing with steps next to meeting all applicable codes, is that when going up or down they have to feel right. I tell my customers all the time it's a rhythm thing. If the treads are not just right it will throw your rhythm off while walking them.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
is there unwritten law as to doin stairs?
we use centimeters here, and to have a natural walk so as you don't feel out of step is,
risers times 2, plus one step, should be around 65 centimeters.
I have used this method with great success.
example, going up grades i have had to used 4" risers, and the steps i did 17 ¾".

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They have rhythm , I won't be using them anyways. I'll drive my van up my wife will be the one using them, do I have to screw all the treads down, or do I use a screw that will rot in a couple months lol

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Hey guys, building stairs how much overhang would you leave?

And yes I still need to rip my riser down, 8)-
According to the American Wood Council’s “Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide" (DCA-6, page 17), the nosing should be ¾” – 1 ¼” and not deviate from one to another by more than 3/8 inch.

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Edited to say: my apologies for double posting, as I didn't see Californiadecks' response above. I suppose a new set of glasses would be in order.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
1" always for us..

ive seen decks where they had upwards of 2' however the decking is prone to splitting off with that large a overhang

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I cut them flush, then add 1 1/2 '' routed trim. The skirting or covered risers are usually 3/4'' that bump up to the bottom of the trim leaving a 3/4'' reveal .

J.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Prescriptive code says 3/4" - 1-1/4" inch nosing; nosing shall not deviate from one another by more then 3/8"
So with that said I think 3/4" nosing is good it allows you to get your first screw closer to the front of the first tread board and still look good. Too much nosing puts your screws too far from the edge.

Cali.... I'm probably forgetfull.... but is not the max 3/8 varience refering to rise... not nosing.

Best
Peter

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I have a lot of customers that request wide treads, however the most important thing with steps next to meeting all applicable codes, is that when going up or down they have to feel right. I tell my customers all the time it's a rhythm thing. If the treads are not just right it will throw your rhythm off while walking them.
is there unwritten law as to doin stairs?
we use centimeters here, and to have a natural walk so as you don't feel out of step is,
risers times 2, plus one step, should be around 65 centimeters.
I have used this method with great success.
example, going up grades i have had to used 4" risers, and the steps i did 17 ¾".
The rough rule of thumb I've generally used was just riser+tread approx equals 17-17 1/2".

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
1"

I would have built some landscaping steps in that situation, those stairs are going to rot. And your small rips of decking on the steps are horrible, pull those up and use full width planks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts