Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on moving into a new shop in June. The building I'm looking at is steel and it's uninsulated.

The building is a 40'x60' rectangle.

The 40' walls are 14' high in the center and 12' at the corners.

The 60' walls are 12' high.

The ceiling will need to be insulated as well.

Does anybody have a guess on what this will cost me?

I've heard of blown insulation. Would this be something I'd be able to do myself?

Thanks,

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Unless you have a spray foam rig, there is no practical way to DIY a decent insulation job. You have 2 options: Remove the metal panels and use vinyl backed insulation, or have it sprayed with closed cell foam. The foam obviously in the choice, and expect to pay about $1.50 a sq.ft applied, on all surfaces....in other words, it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Is this a all metal building or a wood pole building with a metal skin?

If all metal then as Joasis described.

If a wood pole building, you can frame out just like building a wood wall between the poles, then insulate the bays and cover with sheetrock. The roof is a little tougher but can be done in a similar way.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thus we see the false economy of an all metal structure. Because of the thermal bridging caused by the metal componants transfering heat in or out of the building structure it is nearly impossible to build an energy efficient, cost efficient building free from moisture and mildue without building a building within a building.

·
Registered
789 Posts
ROFLMAO:laughing::laughing:
That is my favorite eposode of south park!

As for the building. nEighter and knucklehead are having a little fun at your expense. It happens alot around here when you just jump in and ask a how to question like that.
Joasis is right, spay foam is the best and the most $ too. But will likely be cheaper than framing in a metal building with wood then insulating with fiberglass and then rocking the whole thing. Especially if this is a shop and you really dont need it finnished out anyway. If the building is already framed in wood then kgmz's way is probably the most popular option.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When it comes to metal buildings, insulating with spray foam is one of the best choices you can make for so many reasons; superior insulation, structural integrity, vapor retarder, etc. The Spray Polyurethane Foam Alliance has a great resource that deals directly with insulating metal buildings with spray foam and can be found at the SPFA website here.

If regards to insulating it yourself, yes I think it is possible and there are many different types of equipment that can handle this. Spray foam rigs, full built-out trailers,
such as this one or smaller units like this can be had for under $25k. Just some options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pole Barn Insulation

We use blown in insulation with a fibre mesh sheet .Fibre mesh stapled up say four feet then fill with insulation and then work mess up wall another four feet and then fill with insulation etc .Also other way is to use batts of Roxall or pink . Ontairio Canada:eek:

·
Regional Manager
1 Posts
Spray Foam Insulation

It's not a good idea unless you can spray all the parts before erection or have thermal breaks installed What do you do about dissimilar metals touching and creating condensation under the foam after it's applied? the screws drive through the roof sheeting and fasten it to the red iron purlins. When you heat the building or have snow / cold roofing - there will be condensation in those places. A standing seam roof has thermal spacers at the clips. No such protection in a screw down roof.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.