Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many different trades do you perform in your business? Even if you are a specialty contractor, I am curious hard many trades you are comfortable doing work in and are proficient at?

As a handyman, I am fairly competent in the following areas:
Basic Framing
Concrete placement, forms & footings - mostly flat work or monolithic slabs, never done a stem wall or basement.
Minor Electrical, I have wired whole houses, but I would not do that today.
Minor plumbing, I have performed many re-pipes, ran many systems, installed new bathrooms, etc. I would not do that today though.
Roofing and simple flashing, never anything complex, but multiple complete roofs.
All drywall and finishing/texture levels.
Decks, fences, Pergola's, gates, etc.
Minor painting, mostly interior (by the room) or touchup on exteriors. I have never painted an entire exterior (nor do I want to).
Maintenance and Repair of all systems in the home.
Arc, Mig, and gas welding.

What do you do that is outside of your "trade?"

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,526 Posts
I'll profess I feel fairly competent in electrical, but I can handle my own in plumbing, roofing, framing, drywall and trim work. I've also done brick/block work, pouring 'crete, siding and gutters.

Not that I have anything against the other trades, they're just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
All I can say is when the inspector came to look at my plumbing skills after I added on to my house, he didn't believe anyone but a master plumber did the work.:thumbup:

Must of been drunk or something, 'cause I thought I did a ****ty job.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
I feel pretty good about my deck building, residential electrical, tiling, and hardscaping abilities.

I can do trim work, build cabinets and desks, install hardwood flooring, and many other things. However, I know I'm not nearly as good and probably a hell of a lot slower than guys like Leo, Gus, basswood, etc..

·
Super Moderator
10,558 Posts
Proficient at: Framing, roofing, siding, drywall (hanging only) decks, basic finish carpentry.

Worst trade for me is PLUMBING!! Always ends up costing me more and requiring multiple trips to get parts. Why do they need so many different fittings anyway??

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I do my own framing,residential electrical (worked side by side with an electrical contractor for six years),drywall,trim/finish,flooring,tile.
I don't do any plumbing or painting.Only minor stucco and concrete.No HVAC.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I try to stick with just electrical work but i also do general home maintenance. For my business i advertise residential wiring, generator installations, small excavation, tree cutting/removal, snow plowing/removal, lawn mowing, painting/staining, pressure washing, roofing and decks. In this area you need to be diversified to survive. I also do minor concrete work, some drywall and trim work, install drop ceilings, welding, etc.
I used to be an auto technician and i also worked in a body shop so every now and again i get someone asking me to fix their car, boat or tractor. For the most part i will do anything to keep working and pay the bills. Maybe this is why i am still busy when most folks are slow.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm a remodeler so by definition, I have to be able to do a bunch of different things. I love doing tile and stone work, but I'm more proficient at general carpentry. I've done hardwood flooring, laminate flooring, plumbing (never plumbed a whole house, but have done numerous tubs, sinks, water heaters), electrical (again, never wired an entire house but can do basic wiring and both 120 & 240 breaker installs). Painting (all interior - my least favorite trade), drywall, both hanging and taping and deck and walkway building and vinyl siding. I've also done a few complete roofs, but agin, not my fave.

Don't do carpeting, windows or landscaping. Not because I can't; I don't want to or am too cheap to buy the tools & equipment necessary to do it right.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
My best, Roofs, siding, windows, gutters, framing, trim...I would like to think that I am "good" at just about anything, but not the best by any means.

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Webster's Definition - Proficient, well advanced in an art, occupation, or branch of knowledge:whistling

My definition - What trades can you perform well enough to sell to your customer, as a professional installation, and make a profit, instead of subbing it out.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts