Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live here in Michigan and we have seen the temps going down, we had a low of 32 degrees the other night, I stop painting outside once the temps fall below 40 degrees. So why is this guy looking for exterior painters? I guess he doesn't know it take almost 30 days for paint to cure:whistling plus it's been raining every few days:rolleyes:

Exterior Painters (Tri county)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-10-12, 7:52AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for 1 or 2 Experienced Painters to Paint Exterior of homes, Must be able to prove experience, may be able to start as soon as tommorrow. Email contact info and a little about yourself.

Compensation: 15-hour
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am in Cleveland and we are still running strong on exteriors. We gotta make up for the crappy year we had.

I have applied materials in November and December and haven't had any problems. Sure you are taking a risk but it's worth it, I am not ready to lay guys off yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My Painter's Almanac (bank statement) predicts excellent weather for another 8 weeks.

Seriously, this is prime season here in New England.
I've got seven jobs ahead of us, both crews going balls out and I'm still estimating/booking jobs for this season.

I can't remember the last time we called it quits before thanksgiving, now that I think about it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. with snow in the northern States like Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, I just can't see how the paint will hold up, I have seen guys here paint this late in the season and in two years time the jobs they did you see the paint coming off in sheets.:laughing: I guess they must charge for touch ups:laughing::clap:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wondering what others consider to cold to paint Exteriors? I live in MN and we have been in the 30's-40's for the last wk and have already had some snow fall. It is suppose to warm up in the 50-60's in the next wk. Have several builders really pushing to get a cpl Exteriors painted this yr still, I'm trying to get them to wait till next yr. as i don't feel the paint will hold up and last longer then 1-2yrs tops. Just trying to get some feed back from others on the lowest Temps they will paint in and feel comfortable the job will last.. I usually won't touch a house if it's in the 40's...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wont do an exterior if the average temp doesnt stay at least 45 throughout the day. Even then, I let the guys do it. Cold weather and old bones dont make a good match for me any more.

1,183 Posts
Big problems painting with early morning dew and fog, cold nights etc.

This has been our worst year for exteriors since we started in business, no work.....unless your willing to work for peanuts but even then not much work to go around.

Like a depression not a recession here in my part of New England, if you are still booking jobs and running crews....wow!!!!! Good for you.

Every single contractor I know and I know alot ! who have been in the bus for many years including myself are hurting big time......and yes we all market market market but when theres no work have to be creative to survive. I've made it through a couple of recessions since the 70's but this one is tough and in my area for now will get worse.

If you are lucky enough to be breaking even then this year has been a sucess.

I cannot paint houses for the same price in 2009 as 20 yrs ago but thats pretty much whats going on here if and when you get a call.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I haven't painted in the end of November before, but I'm about to. The Valspar poeple assure me that as long as the substrate stays above 35 degrees for 12 hrs. the severe weather will be fine. it has been mid 50's during the day and upper 30's at night. I figure if I start after 9 and the temp stays above 35 until early moring I'll be o.k.

·
Da Boss....
474 Posts
It can be done. But this time of the year it could start snowing any day now. I have never had to finish a job it the spring that I started in the fall, and I don't want to!!!! If I were to work outside now, it would be small jobs.....

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Big problems painting with early morning dew and fog, cold nights etc.

This has been our worst year for exteriors since we started in business, no work.....unless your willing to work for peanuts but even then not much work to go around.

Like a depression not a recession here in my part of New England, if you are still booking jobs and running crews....wow!!!!! Good for you.

Every single contractor I know and I know alot ! who have been in the bus for many years including myself are hurting big time......and yes we all market market market but when theres no work have to be creative to survive. I've made it through a couple of recessions since the 70's but this one is tough and in my area for now will get worse.

If you are lucky enough to be breaking even then this year has been a sucess.

I cannot paint houses for the same price in 2009 as 20 yrs ago but thats pretty much whats going on here if and when you get a call.
I didn't know KC was in newengland!!:eek:

:laughing:

could not have said it better myself though :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was talking with a good friend yesterday, who is a local painting contractor, he told me he was busy as hell with a bunch of exteriors. Lost a lot of time in June due to all the rain.

It's been in the 70's around here during the day and 40-50 @ night. Great painting weather, but it is New England, and all of that could change very quickly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Still working. Wrapping up the last 2 full houses this week then tackling lots of small stuff until the snow flies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts