Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here developing a list of goals for next year, one of them is to join a few organizations.

I am also planning on expanding/getting certified in a few other fields to better serve my customers.
Example: First of year I will be joining IAA as well as getting certified direct from a manufacturer on tub/counter glazing. By summertime I will also offer crime scene/ meth lab services as well as join at least two more organizations.

The thought behind this is to establish my company as the "go to experts" in the rental world.

Yes I already know the heartaches with those clients. I just liened one for nonpayment. This is my niche to dominate.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
As I sit here developing a list of goals for next year, one of them is to join a few organizations.

I am also planning on expanding/getting certified in a few other fields to better serve my customers.
Example: First of year I will be joining IAA as well as getting certified direct from a manufacturer on tub/counter glazing. By summertime I will also offer crime scene/ meth lab services as well as join at least two more organizations.

The thought behind this is to establish my company as the "go to experts" in the rental world.

Yes I already know the heartaches with those clients. I just liened one for nonpayment. This is my niche to dominate.
My goal this year is to eliminate all my organizations except my hunting ones.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

They are all a waste of time and money...no one cares what club you belong to.

·
Super Moderator
28,863 Posts
People who say they get nothing generally put little or nothing in. If thats you, your dues will be wasted.

Organizations:

HBA (Board)
Chamber (s) (board of 1 in the past)
VFD

This is my second term as president of my local HBA, I get a lot of work from my contacts there. The HBA itself has done little for me in the way of leads. Most of my six figure projects in a year (or atleast half) come from contacts I made there.

My dad has been a member for years and years. Only been to a couple meetings. Never gotten a good lead from it. Go figure.

Chamber is the same story.

Never gotten a job from the VFD, but I dont do it for that.

Reactions: Texas Wax

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
I think the HBA does more for the builders than the subs. I was in ours for 3 years, volunteered for a few things, and never even garnered a bid. I had only joined to get in their WC pool and to participate in their 401k. We ended up eventually getting WC through our payroll company, and the HBA canceled the 401k, so at that point there was no reason to stick around.

·
Super Moderator
28,863 Posts
I think the HBA does more for the builders than the subs. I was in ours for 3 years, volunteered for a few things, and never even garnered a bid. I had only joined to get in their WC pool and to participate in their 401k. We ended up eventually getting WC through our payroll company, and the HBA canceled the 401k, so at that point there was no reason to stick around.
I think it depends. If you are a legit , knowledgeable sub, you probably wont get as much from it, because your price will probably reflect that. Sad but true. I got all my subs when as I switched subs from the HBA, and try to do business only with members. Some of my dads older subs dont want to join, and im not going to jot use them because of that.

Some HBAs kinda suck too. :laughing: Depends. Ours is the seventh largest in thestate, over 400 members. If your from an outlying county, it may not help much.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Interesting... So your saying being a member of the Home builders association is worthless, & can in no way benefit you?
Yes, but ask me how many homes I build...

·
Super Moderator
28,863 Posts
I think it depends. If you are a legit , knowledgeable sub, you probably wont get as much from it, because your price will probably reflect that. Sad but true. I got all my subs when as I switched subs from the HBA, and try to do business only with members. Some of my dads older subs dont want to join, and im not going to jot use them because of that.

Some HBAs kinda suck too. :laughing: Depends. Ours is the seventh largest in thestate, over 400 members. If your from an outlying county, it may not help much.
To be clear, im not saying HBA subs here are hacks. Im saying if you are one of the highest around, you probably wont get as much work, and if you have been around forever. If you have been around forever, you kinda already have your roster.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thinking (at least for me) is this:

Increase brand awareness amongst property managers

Networking

I am not looking to gain business, however get the company name (Rental Rehab LLC) out there. That way when I make contact, the familiarity with the name will be there.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
To be clear, im not saying HBA subs here are hacks. Im saying if you are one of the highest around, you probably wont get as much work, and if you have been arojnd forever. If you have been around forever, you kinda already have your roster.
That is a valid point I guess. I wasn't there looking for work, but it would have been nice for a few builders to throw a bid or two my way. I was one of just two companies in our HBA that listed framing as our primary business. So who the heck was framing all of these homes for these "loyal" HBA builders?:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
28,863 Posts
I belong to local community organizations but these national or state deals not a chance.
I actually agree to an extent.

As a GC, my main reason to be a member of the HBA and my involvement of my state BA is to imput where lobby money is spent. A lot of it sucks, but a lot of it is very impacting. Just last year in Texas we shut down city's trying to enforce building impact fees in the ETJ and shut down residential sprinklers again, to make an eexample.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
To be clear, im not saying HBA subs here are hacks. Im saying if you are one of the highest around, you probably wont get as much work, and if you have been around forever. If you have been around forever, you kinda already have your roster.
I didn't get much out of it-besides a pretty nice grill:clap:, but then again didn't invest much time in it either. Did seem to me to be more geared toward the GC's.

Wish they would have some sort of vetting process besides just being able to pay your dues.

·
Super Moderator
28,863 Posts
Wish they would have some sort of vetting process besides just being able to pay your dues.
Thats my biggest complaint. I actually may of made some headway with that, but there is a lot of legal chit. :blink::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
28,863 Posts
To be whole truthed:

A major reason I have almost resigned from the HBA is the state level lobbying to make illegals legal, keep it legal to not have WC, and keep GC liscences out.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
To be whole truthed:

A major reason I have almost resigned from the HBA is the state level lobbying to make illegals legal, keep it legal to not have WC, and keep GC liscences out.
i see no reason to get upset with that.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Obviously I can't speak as a fellow contractor but I can offer some perspective from two different angles.

First, I am fully aware that the direct value of most organizations is limited, often minimal, and sometimes non-existent. Organizations such as BBB are worthless and exist solely on name recognition and an illusion of trust built in a different era.

However, second, the average HO does not know this. As they seek out a contractor they're looking for trust indicators. Professional memberships help demonstrate you're willing to be held accountable to something other than yourself. Since you need to be accountable to your clients, this helps ease their mind. There are many factors at play in building trust, this is one of them. It's a case of every little bit helps.

It was mentioned above that you have to put in to get anything out. That principle is important but I would go much further. These memberships are only one piece of a much larger strategy. It's everything working together. Any missing pieces can derail opportunities before they get started which leaves money on the table.

I'm also in a position to know conclusively something many of you will never see. I work with a fairly diverse base of clients. The ones who apply the principles I am outlining here are the ones who keep growing regardless of the economy. They "waste" a LOT of money because they're laughing at their competitors who refuse to be so frivolous. Their budgets to waste money keep getting bigger. Those who take the more conservative path stay conservative.

ALL of my best clients have professional memberships. It would be grossly inaccurate to say this makes them successful, but it is part of all the ones who are successful.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts