Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you use per shingle? I have worked for people who want only 4 and some who demanded 5. My personal standard is 5, however I don't hold it against anyone who only uses 4. and I 6 nail anything on a 12/12 or higher.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
isnt there actually a nailing pattern
too many nails can put you closer to ''key way'' than you should be no?
with 3 tabs I only 4 nail to avoid this, except on a steep slope I'd 6 nail them 1 at each end and 1 on either side of each key-way, with dimensional shingles, It's a matter of how far you step them. and 6 nails is what Certainteed calls for on steep slope application.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yes, Tom is right. There is a nailing pattern. You don't want a nail on a shingle right below a joint. We do 4 per shingle. Use more in windy areas or wind traps with valleys and surrounding buildings.
Nail placement is more important than how many.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I agree with 5 or 6 nailing on a real steep slope, but whenever we see a roof 6 nailed, we usually figure a farmer did the roof. They did this in the past to keep shingles on with many layers and shingles with no tar strip.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Wow
Most of the roofs around here are 3 nailed, the stupid part its the tar strip that usualy fails and makes the loved "flapper"

I screw the piss out of my roofs so Im as bad as you 6 nail guys i suppose, :clap: I hate callbacks and have yet to have 1 for a roof.......roofjacks are my nemesis after heavy snows break the pipes off

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Haha, 3 nailed by the hacks who still don't know how to shingle besides the old trusty racking method....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

It depends on where you are located. When I lived in Va. we only 4 nailed unless it was steep. Here in AK every roof is 6 nailed. We have winds of 25+mph quite often so it just becomes a habit.
Most important though is what the manufacturer calls for(imo). Follow that and you should be o.k.

Oh, btw even though I am from the country I am not a farmer. LOL
Keith

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
guys around put on shingles with what sounds like a machine gun
i lift a shingle to nail up a pole and theres usually a nail right in the key

·
Roofer
681 Posts
Self sealer strips are not designed to hold shingles on the roof, the fasteners do that. The sealant strips hold the tabbed or lower laminated portion in place.
I have lost a few tabs here in there on jobs that are prone to high winds, etc., but never lost a shingle.
If you see a roof with missing tabs, maybe it's a self sealer issue, maybe it's a fastener issue, but if you see shingles missing it's a fastener issue period.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts