Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back then when I was framing carpenter, last time before 10 years, it was told to me that I should hit hanger nails only in every second hole in hanger. Like in that picture down hanger have 15X2 holes and then I should hit 8X2 nails. I didn’t find at Google something about it. What is yours experience?
That in picture is USP HUS 179 exactly one that I dill with right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Simpson indicates not only how many nails, but what size and type. I suggest you adhere to their instructions.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
If the hanger has triangular holes, those are generally optional. Only the bigger hangers have those. I never really understood the need for "optional" nails in a hanger with 80 nails.
I can speak only for decks around here, but every nail hole has to have a nail. I have nearly failed a framing inspection for only missing three holes. He was gracious enough to allow my carpenter to install them while he finished the inspection.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Like said all round holes. Other holes help achieve max strength. There are reduction factors for wet lumber.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,066 Posts
Back then when I was framing carpenter, last time before 10 years, it was told to me that I should hit hanger nails only in every second hole in hanger. Like in that picture down hanger have 15X2 holes and then I should hit 8X2 nails. I didn’t find at Google something about it. What is yours experience?
That in picture is USP HUS 179 exactly one that I dill with right now.
I absolutely LOVE your mastery of the English language. It reminds me of what I've missed not being around here for a couple months.

As for how many nails, it's not up to you, it's determined by the manufacturers engineering, which is published data, usually packaged with aforesaid-mentioned connecting hardware.

If some Jack-Leg "Building Contractor" back in the '60's told his framing crew, "Aww, Hell, jus' dump a han'ful o' them Daggum nail' in that Som'bich", well, I guess that's why I repair so many structures built in the post war boom times. But that doesn't make it the right way to do things. :rolleyes:

Delta

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,802 Posts
You don't know how many I run across that have roofing nails or sheetrock screws in them.:rolleyes: If they have screws in them I replace them with the right nails. I hate having to go around fixing someone else work while doing mine and not really get paid for it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have been working on a street repairing every deck built by the same guy apparently. No bolts in the posts or hangers on joists where not directly supported by beams. The last one had railing spindles spaced 8" on center. All of the decks only 13 years old or less.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts