Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Do you use bridging with conventional lumber? If so, what type?

• No, I don't use bridging.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I use metal tension strap.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use metal drive in type.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I use solid blocking.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I use wood X-bridging.

Votes: 9 37.5%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After seing the interest in "Fun with wood X-bridging", I thought a poll was in order. Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
After seing the interest in "Fun with wood X-bridging", I thought a poll was in order. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Are you talking both 2x framing and using I-joists? That would make a difference on how I answer the poll for me because I don't use any type of bridging for I-joists. For 2x framing I use bridging with anything over 8'.

The few times for I-joists I used tension straps. Other than that, I don't use any type of bridging/straps or blocks for I-joists.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking both 2x framing and using I-joists? That would make a difference on how I answer the poll for me because I don't use any type of bridging for I-joists. For 2x framing I use bridging with anything over 8'.

The few times for I-joists I used tension straps. Other than that, I don't use any type of bridging/straps or blocks for I-joists.
Fixed it for ya.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have always used bridging on the first floor framing but often don't on second floor framing since the strapping keeps the framing from moving.

With "I" joists I don't use anything.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I find interesting is, for the first 10 years of framing, we were supplied tension strap bridging by every builder we framed for. It was the industry standard here, yet no one appears to be using it now. The fact that it caused sqeaks is testament to me that there is some deflection in the joists during normal traffic across the floor. We had so many problems with it, we started solid blocking instead. In those days, surfaced dry or S-dry lumber was not generally used due to cost and availability, so GRN lumber was prevalant. We began to see issues with solid blocks as well, primarily squeaks, assumed to be caused by shrinkage and cuping of joists as they dried. The next obvious choice was wood X. I have never had a callback for wood X-bridging.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bump

1 - 10 of 10 Posts