Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to measure wall sqft of a unit today. That sucked. Measuring everything, & mathing it out cost me an hour of my life i'll never get back.

Tell me theres a faster way to accurately measure wall sqft. I usually go by floor sqft.

btw 4195 sqft lol

debate whilest i sleep

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
A laser measuring device such as the Bosch GLM80 works nice.
It has a whole ton of different measuring modes one of which is wall square footage. You shoot it to floor to ceiling once and as long as you stay with the same ceiling height, you then just shoot each wall length and it does the calculation for you.

So you basically walk around the unit pressing a button on a laser and you're done. Depending on how broken up it is, I'd say I can measure wall sq ft of a 2,000 sq ft house in 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,111 Posts
Lasers are fast to measure interiors, but they're way faster than measuring with a tape with all the personal belongings in place - just hold it up high and shoot the wall. You can even stand at the door ways and shoot all three ways - saves some walking. Even a cheap laser is good enough for painting. Cut measurements for base and crown are more particular.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Or if you don't care about accuracy, floor square footage times 3 plus a correction factor based on holding up your thumb and squinting.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Or if you don't care about accuracy, floor square footage times 3 plus a correction factor based on holding up your thumb and squinting.
3.7 x the floor area divided x 48 [4x12 boards] can give me a close count on a simple floor plan. Then a quick walk through count will help to get It closer . I almost know the formula needed when I hear what the home consist of. An easy gravy may call for 3.5...A cutup mofo with crazy chit may need a 4.0 or higher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts